Winter storage - master drain plug

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all

Last year when I stored my boat, inside(non heated) storage - I covered it, threw bounty sheets all over and in every compartment and I left the master drain plug out, to maybe help vent (less oil, gas, smell?)

makes me wonder - should I leave the plug out? or in?

only negative I think would be forgetting its out :) or the threads rust

curious to what you all do

roffey

Commander
hmmm most likely a brass plus so no rust there. When my boat is not in the water I leave the plug out and I bet almost all if not all will say the same thing.

thumpar

Admiral
Mice would be the only reason to leave it in. There would need to be a path though.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
You never know when the roof might leak. Leaving the plug out hurts nothing and might save your bacon.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Leave it out, raise the bow as much as possible, so if the roof leaks for some unseen reason, at least there is a chance for it to drain. Also, it's illegal in this area to transport the boat with it in, the reason being to help prevent the spread of evasive species. They can ticket you for it if they so desire.

oldjeep

Admiral
I leave the rear plug out and leave the 2 bottom ones in - boat is stored inside in my garage. More for routine than anything else since in MN we have to trailer with them out. I suppose anything is possible but I'm not too worried about a mouse getting in through there unless he can do a spider man routine on a highly waxed hull.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
leave plug out.. if worried about critters crawling in.. secure a screen over it... you dont want any water to collect..