Fuel stabilizers

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I dont do anything to mine, use no additives, don't run them dry, nothing, I turn off the key, I use E-10, and have since the early 90's. I had one issue with a 1969 6hp Evinrude, after about 7 years of using E-10 a cork gasket in the carb came apart. The fuel pump was rebuilt for the first time 2 years ago. I also read up on what the actual issues with ethanol are, not the scare tactics used by people trying to sell something, that's why I say they can help in some ways, but not nearly to the extent they claim.

I have 7 outboards from old to new, none have had issues with E-10, nor do my friends have issues with E-10

I have a 200HP Evinrude that hasnt been run in about 6 years, I may hook it up and try to start it. The real test will be a 1987 Chevy 3/4T pickup that hasn't been used in about 10 ten years, I may try to sell it soon, so I need to start it.

thumpar

Admiral
My snow blower has electric start but I rarely use it because the work off 110v. It is easier to just pull the cord. The year before last it was used 1 time for about 20 minutes but it started right up with the same fuel last year. The same fuel is in now and have no fear that it will start again.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
To each his own I guess. I have had problems and so I chose to try something new. Believe me, I am not a fan of extra work. I started having these problems when I was just parking and not emptying bowls and tanks. I am not a big propaganda believer and actually had a nickname of Pat the Cynic for a few years at my last sales job. I have stated that I don't know if these additives work but to me, it was a cheap way to see if they did. To cover my disbelieving self, I empty the carbs and tanks to make sure. Once again, if I had not had problems, I would treat my machinery as you do yours. If you had to rebuild all the carbs on all those machines you mentioned this year I would imagine you would adopt my strategy.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ps. The biggest problem you will have with that 3/4 ton is the wrist pins are dried out by now and the lifters are not pumped up anymore. I would recommend priming the engine oil system before starting. They sell priming tools but you could just take the gear off the bottom of an old Chevy distributor and knock the advance mechanism off the top. Drop it in the dist. Hole and attach a drill to the top. Spin the drill the same direction as the firing order which I believe is clockwise. Do this until you get oil to the valve covers.

thumpar

Admiral
Update: I just went out and it started up just like always. The carb has never been rebuilt by me in the 7.5 years I have owned it and doubt the last owner did because they moved away years before I bought it from the daughter.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Ps. The biggest problem you will have with that 3/4 ton is the wrist pins are dried out by now and the lifters are not pumped up anymore. I would recommend priming the engine oil system before starting. They sell priming tools but you could just take the gear off the bottom of an old Chevy distributor and knock the advance mechanism off the top. Drop it in the dist. Hole and attach a drill to the top. Spin the drill the same direction as the firing order which I believe is clockwise. Do this until you get oil to the valve covers.

I may start a thread on getting it running, don't want to hijack this one.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I wish you much more luck with it too thumper. Please don't get me wrong here, I am not a spokesman for stabil. I just stated that I used it. Nothing more and nothing less. I will say that two year old fuel is sketchy. I hope it works but might not work well under load with the old fuel. Easy enough to empty the tank if it has gone bad anyway. I have no soap box here. No dog in the fight so to speak. I am just stating what I do. More power to all that haven't had problems. I have. So I'm trying something new. I have no negative opinion of people who just park and go. If anything I am jealous of you.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I may start a thread on getting it running, don't want to hijack this one.
Let me know when you do. I am a motor head since I was 13. Built my first street race motor when I was 14 to 15. Had to wait a year to drive it.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with you JB but I went into this thread to maybe learn a few things about the product. I'm not the Internet type and I did not research before adding this product. I went on the advice of a friend of mine who is a motor head and a landscaper. He has several cars and many machines that he keeps running in top shape. When I was rebuilding all my carbs he recommended the product and when I went to Depot to buy they were on the clearance end cap for cheap. This thread has made me research a bit and have found some interesting things. Most additives contain alcohol and are not recommended for use in ethanol because they up the alcohol content above the 10%. Most all Octane boosters are alcohol based which only compound the problem by pushing the blend above e10. Evinrude 2+4 is 95% alcohol. Most engine cleaners clean the engine via alcohol so they are a no no as well. I use techron in my cars every oil change so that might have to change. Basically, what I have found out is that you def. Should check the ingredients in any fuel additive and make sure there is no alcohol in the mix. Stabil claims to have no alcohol in their formula but hits my cynic/skeptical cord by prefacing this statement by saying that they can't publish there secret formula but.... I am not an Internet guy mainly because you can read these things but can't easily comment or engage in dialog about such things. That is why I'm addicted to this site. You can actually have a dialog with several people and maybe have your mind changed...Maybe not. Another interesting fact about ethanol, model T's ran on ethanol. I Googled ethanol in fuel and went from there. Unfortunately, I don't have the patience to stay on line for too long but this search turned up a bevy of info. There is even an epa warning to boaters about not using ethanol in your older motors. Marinas are exempt in most states from having to sell e10 but most sell it anyway because their suppliers don't carry E free fuel.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
And thats how these types of topics usually end up.....

Except the questions were:

I came across another product on line that is reputed (by Bell Performance) to work better than Stabil - Gas Shok.
Any body have any experience or insight concerning this product?

Also, though there is a difference in color and price between the different Stabil products, I can't find any chemical difference between them.

I can only deduce the answer is - No, nobody has used Gas Shok or knows anything about it, and yes, there are two different chemical bases used in the various types of products Stabil sells.

Whew! :becky:

oldjeep

Admiral
Except the questions were:

I came across another product on line that is reputed (by Bell Performance) to work better than Stabil - Gas Shok.
Any body have any experience or insight concerning this product?

Also, though there is a difference in color and price between the different Stabil products, I can't find any chemical difference between them.

I can only deduce the answer is - No, nobody has used Gas Shok or knows anything about it, and yes, there are two different chemical bases used in the various types of products Stabil sells.

Whew! :becky:

Never heard of Gas Shok, but I already explained the difference in stabil products - all you have to do is look at the MSDS. Some of their products are 90-95% naptha and some are 90-95% propanol.