Fuel stabilizers

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Getting ready to winterize and was surprised at all the flavors of Stabil on the market these days. This led me to do some research and I have determined that Stabil is really nothing more than light refined petroleum (lighter fluid or naptha if you will). So then I came across another product on line that is reputed (by Bell Performance) to work better than Stabil - Gas Shok.
Any body have any experience or insight concerning this product?

Also, though there is a difference in color and price between the different Stabil products, I can't find any chemical difference between them.

oldjeep

Admiral
Opinions may vary
Our local E10 fuel comes with plenty of stabilizers in it from the pump. I store over 100 gallons of gas in each 6 month season of winter/summer toys and tools. I don't put any additives in the gas and haven't ever had any issues. Stuff gets stored with whatever fuel it had in it when I was done using it.

As for Stabil, depends on the formula. Some is naptha and some is propanol, both are found in your typical high grade E10 fuel.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kinda guy. I have always used 2+4 with great results and continue to do so. Now I also only use 91 octane that is Ethanol free for the last 5 years. I have a list of stations here in Ontario that offer Ethanol free fuel. Not all premiums are free of the stuff I have learned, thus the list from the manufacturers

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion: Stabil and other such adatives is useful for Ethanol gas which is going to sit for a year or more. There is no need for E0 gas what so ever.

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have to agree with AllDodge. In all the years since E10 has been in the pumps here in NY, I have never once had a problem. I do the basic minimum, I avoid off brand stations (I stick with Mobil, Shell, Citgo, etc whoever has the cheapest price), put stabilizer in before the last fill up before winter and thats it.

I have put in E0 and have never noticed any benefit, typically just a 50cent/per gallon hole in my pocket

My Boat is a 1999 (1998 build date( Cobalt 206, I run her about 50hrs a year and Im sitting at around 827hrs

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I don't use the Stabil stuff in any of my boats or small engines. I do use non E fuel though like OIM above so there's no ethanol hand wringing and wondering what it's doing in your expensive motors and tanks. Oh and it's not 50 cents a gallon more than regular.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use E10 in both of my boats and do not use any stabilizer and never have an issue.

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh and it's not 50 cents a gallon more than regular.

It is in New York. Virtually all gas stations that happen to carry E0 only carry it in 91 or 93 Octane, and it tends to be more expensive than a comparable offering 91/93 in E10

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Oh and it's not 50 cents a gallon more than regular.

You're right, around here it's more than .50 a gal higher..... And that's why I don't use it.... Amongst other reasons...

I use E10 in both of my boats and do not use any stabilizer and never have an issue.

If I didn't know any better I would think the forum finally broke ya....... Because you're sounding like 1/2 of the members thru the years.... Especially your last point.... :)

roffey

Commander
Question here, the newer boats use regular gas but older boats, 80s or so have issues with the ethanol?

My last boat, a 1984 3.7 488 would not idle if I ran more than a tank of regular gas through it.

Watermann

You're right, around here it's more than .50 a gal higher..... And that's why I don't use it.... Amongst other reasons...

:)

Well if you cheapskates would buy more the price would go down for the rest of us :lol:

btw pure sweet gas is 30 cents more here in WA than the tainted regular.

roffey

Commander
I?m disagreeing with you as I am not that mechanical, I told my problem to a diesel mechanic who said the problem was the regular gas so I switched to premium gas and the problem disappeared, hence my question. Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread so I will leave it here and thanks for responding to my question.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The only difference between premium and regular gas is the octane number which will have no affect on your idling unless your timing was so far off that you had pre ignition occurring. There must have been something else going on.

As far as ethanol goes, any engine made since 1984 uses hoses that are tolerant to ethanol.

BTW, depending on where you live, there is no guarantee that premium gas does not contain ethanol.

thumpar

Admiral
Well if you cheapskates would buy more the price would go down for the rest of us :lol:

btw pure sweet gas is 30 cents more here in WA than the tainted regular.
I live in WA. The only E0 is premium when you find it and usually about a buck more a gallon. Even when I go to ID where gas is cheaper it is about a buck more per gallon. I stopped using stabilizer. I don't use fogging oil anymore either. My 1983 was fine with E10, even after sitting all winter.

Watermann

The gas isn't cheaper in ID the taxes are less than WA. :lol: I have 3 Non E bulk card lock stations, Pacific Pride and 2 CFN within 5 miles that has 89 Octane Non E that's 30 cents more per gallon than reg E10.

My best friends Harley after sitting last winter had to have the tank and carbs drained because he used E10, the stuff separated and it wouldn't even run so I would suggest to the OP that if his boat has it in it then I would think about using treatment.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My best friends Harley after sitting last winter had to have the tank and carbs drained because he used E10, the stuff separated and it wouldn't even run so I would suggest to the OP that if his boat has it in it then I would think about using treatment.
Just so you know, there is no fuel treatment that will keep E10 fuel that has gotten too much water in it to not separate.

thumpar

Admiral
Well I pay less in ID but the difference is the same. I had a bike with 4 carbs and it sat every winter with E10 and started up and ran great every spring. My 1977 F150 sits for years at a time. It has 2 tanks. It will always start just fine.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just so you know, there is no fuel treatment that will keep E10 fuel that has gotten too much water in it to not separate.
If you had E0 and had that same amount of water, it would not separate because it would already be separated because it didn't combine in the first place. In that case the water would be at the bottom of the tank and you would be dead in the water anyway, and you would still have to pump out the tank.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you had E0 and had that same amount of water, it would not separate because it would already be separated because it didn't combine in the first place. In that case the water would be at the bottom of the tank and you would be dead in the water anyway, and you would still have to pump out the tank.
I was assuming he was talking about phase separation which is an ethanol issue.

My point that it's a waste of time adding an additive to keep ethanol fuel from phase separation.