is a four winns horizon 200, yr 2000 a good boat?

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
I need some quick info....I'm thinking of buying an end of season priced boat. It's a 2000 four winns horizon 200. It has 560 hrs, three local owners and has always been on the same one lake. It was on a covered dock mostly so the trailer looks new and has new tires. The boat has the 5.0 fuel injected Volvo penta and 560 hours on it. Has a couple normal places where the stitching is coming loose. Price is $8500 non negotiable. He was asking $10800 and I told him a week ago that was too much. It books for 8000-8500. I really want a boat and have been looking a long time. 20' seems to be a good size for me just using at small local lakes. I have heard good things about Volvo drives. It was bought new and always serviced and winterized at the local marina. It doesn't bother me to buy a boat in October here in Iowa but I don't want to make a 8500 mistake either. Anybody have good experience with this kind of boat? Does four winns have any negatives? Oh and I should mention indunnonifnit has throttle body injection or individual cylinder injection but can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of both. Either way is better than carbd right? Is 560 hrs too many? I talked to the local marina and they are too busy winterizing to do a cmpression test for me. I can water test it though. 5.0 fi should be plenty of motor right?! Does anyone know if the yr 2000 models were all fiberglass or some wood? Honestly I'm just looking for sound advice on this boat. Owner doesn't seem to be hiding anything.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Four Winns makes a quality boat and the Volvo is an excellent drive.

Multiport fuel injection is preferred. TBI is basically an injected carb so the power increase of it over a carb is negligible. 560 hours is fine as well as the boat/engine were well maintained. 560 hours is around 35 hours a year. You are likely better off to buy a boat with an engine that is used regularly than one that sits around and not getting used.

There will still be wood in the stringers and transom of that boat.

I was very close to buying the bigger brother of that same boat, a 2000 230 Horizon.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
....so obviously I meant to say that this boat is a horizon 200, not horizon 2000. But I can't seem to edit the original post. So is there negligible differences between TBI and MPI? Or is there negligible difference between TBI and carbd? Is TBI injection way better than carb in terms of hp gains and efficiency gains? Everyone seems to say how much better fuel injection is....I just can't figure out if they're talking about TBI Or MPI? If TBI isn't much better than carbd, then I'm not gonna buy this boat just because of "fuel injection". However if TBI gives the extra 20-30 hp or whatever they claim; putting the 5.0 TBI into the 5.7 carbd bracket then I'm in. Is this 5.0 TBI motor enough power in a 3300lb boat. ? I just wanna buy a boat once. The right boat the first time 🙂

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The 5 liter engine is fine, regardless of configuration of the fuel delivery system. Don't get hung up on how the fuel is delivered. There are pros and cons to every system.
Fuel injection is simply a way to more accurately deliver the fuel charge to each cylinder, resulting in better economy and better power. However, in order to more accurately measure and control that fuel charge the engine has to be equipped with electronic devices that carbureted engines don't need. This could be viewed as "something else to go wrong". In the final analysis, keeping the fuel system clean is the most important step to keeping it running properly.

roffey

Commander
... and its been stated here numerous times, condition trumps everything. You can have the best of every thing and if is not taken care of its just more parts that have to be fixed or replaced...

southkogs

Staff member
Lotsa' information on buying a boat HERE. And, I fixed your title too. :thumb:

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks. I think it's been taken care of. Always by a dealer. It's 16 years old so some stiching issues are expected. Where are the common spots to check for a rotten floor and is there any issues to look for on a four winns engine compartment? Like I know some people aren't fond of vip engines just being lagged in. So without a compression test; what's the best thing to do on a water driving test that might reveal some issues with the engine or drive? And does $8500 seem like a fair deal ?

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked at one of these when i was doing my buying in the spring. it was a very nice boat, some the the downfalls for me were really cosmetic. but it had a good layout and the 5.0 seemed to move it fine, the only reason i went with another option is this dealer had just replaced the motor on this one and wanted 2k above book so.... i went with a private seller.

I like the VP drive system from everything i have seen the main issue is servicing and parts for the VP whereas merc is very redily available everywhere VP is not as much but my marina shop is a dealer for VP parts.

8500 is a good deal IMO and i would have bought the one i was looking at for that price.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here it is

Attachments

• photo253896.png
    photo253896.png
    886 KB · Views: 2
  • photo253897.png
    photo253897.png
    779.9 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
5.0 with a carb or TBI is 220hp, 5.0 with MPI is 260hp

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my 2002 searay with a 5.0 carb moved my 3000# boat at 50mph

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Here it is

Where is the swim ladder? And the transom tie downs? I'm also bugged that somebody is trailering this thing around without putting it completely on the trailer.
Things to look at:
How clean (and dry) is the bilge? If it has mildew growing on everything, then this boat has spent too much time holding water.
Check the ski storage bin for dryness as well.
It's not a large boat, so checking the entire deck for soft spots wouldn't take very long.

Primarily you are looking for signs of water damage or extended exposure to water. Look at the through hull fittings on the inside of the transom. Are they rusty or can you see water stains at the bolts? Is there rust on the engine?
If there is rust on the starter, you are going to have problems there in short order.

If at all possible, do not let them start the engine before you get there. You want to see how easily it starts cold. When you increase the throttle, does the engine respond smoothly or is there a lot of lag? Does the engine idle smoothly or does it surge? Don't just test at WOT, see how it runs on the water at idle speed. Watch the thermometer for engine temperature increase at idle speed. It should stay steady. Make sure all gauges work properly.
Check all deck fittings for tightness.

Good luck!

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Why is it so far from the bow stop? Would look at the bottom real good.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
It prly isn't on the trailer all the way because they live at the lake and it's less than a mile to the ramp. Maybe they didn't use the transom straps? actually this owner has only had it a year and their house is not lakefront so they trailered it. Only used it a few times this year. They bought it from their neighbor who had it 6 years and another guy on the same lake was the original owner. This owner just says they don't use like they want and have another baby on the way so they want to sell it. He says he looked for a while before he bought it so I think he's picky too. What's to look at the bottom? Scratches and dings? Good point I'll check for mildew musty smell in the ski locker and engine compartment. As well As rust on engine and staining around nuts on transom etc. I'm not a total idiot I just have the fear of being that guy who buys a boat and the motor blows on the first outing! Btw I know only living a mile from the ramp isn't an excuse not to put it on the trsiler all the way. But maybe he messed up loading last time or who knows. Maybe he's a bit ignorant but I hope the owners before him weren't ignorant. In fact the boat was never trailered until this past year because it lived on a lift of a lakefront home till this year. The trailer sat long enough that this current owner put new tires on it this year.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Looks pretty good overall. Do everything that WRVOND said. I would also add that make sure you open every door, compartment etc a) to make sure they are properly maintaining and cleaning and b) to make sure they all work right. Little things like that add up quick. Does it come with covers?

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Yes it has covers

Attachments

• photo253912.png
    photo253912.png
    588 KB · Views: 2
  • photo253913.png
    photo253913.png
    537.4 KB · Views: 2

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
My personal view is this. Buy a boat used that is still good but has already depreciated a lot. I see boats from the mid 90's that are $6-7000. My theory is buy this and use it for 5 years and it'll still be worth most of what I paid for it. And I take really good care of my stuff.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
So is this TBI injection still better than a carb or just more expensive to fix since there prly isn't any adjustment to be made. ? What are the most common TBI problems and how expensive to fix?