3 boats in less than 2 years, and now finally a new one with some questions.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,

I wasn't really sure if I should make this topic extremely specific to one question, and post multiple threads, or just do the one. I'm not sure what the mods here prefer, every board is different.

Some of you may have seen my other posts, as many of you have helped me before. I had a 1988 Marlin Bowrider. We bought it for cheap just so we could see how much we liked boats. Well, even with all the work I had to do to that thing, I found out, I love having a boat. The trial run worked. We later ended up with a junker of a pontoon that sat in a driveway for 5 years. 3 weeks ago, after restoring it, we put that beauty in the water for the first time since 2011 and sold it within 3 days.

I now own a new CS JVX 18, and I need to make some modifications, which makes me nervous obviously.

First, I'm adding a gauge type stereo. What cutting tool do you recommend? What blade do you recommend? I need to cut the dash hole and the speaker holes. Can I just use a hole saw? I assume not. This will be going in the sides of the center console. I also have a multi tool with various blades, and a jig saw. Any thoughts? Should I buy something else. I always enjoy buying a new tool.

Second, I need to add LED lighting. This will run under the console rim at the bottom. Do you recommend just wiring this to a switch? I would assume so. If it's on a switch, I assume it doesn't need a lead to the ignition too???

Third, for the bench driver seat. This attaches to the floor. Does anyone know of any quick release pins I can use instead of the nuts and bolts this came with? Something similar to how you put a bimini top in place, but obviously, much larger clips/pins? I like to be able to remove my seats and store them inside. Plus, i'm a big guy, so squeezing in to that cubby door in the center console, already makes me look like Winnie the Pooh stuck in the honey tree. Removing the seats gives me more room.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Stereo
  • A hole saw works fine for the head and you have less of a chance to make the hole too large. Mine was the same size as the tach, so I had the hole saw in the tool box.
  • For the speakers, a correct sized hole saw is pretty big if you can find one. Before using any tool, find out if the area is clear of wiring, etc. A jig saw, multi-tool, or Dremel, should do the job.
LED lights
  • Wire the LEDs to a dedicated switch from an empty spot in the fuse/circuit breaker panel. You're right about not wiring to the ignition switch because the LEDs should be able to be turned on or off when the motor isn't running. Use your new tool from the speaker install to make the switch mounting hole. :D
Seat removal
  • Is it on any type of pedestal or the seat base is directly on the deck? A photo or two showing the seat would help.

Don't be nervous. We can help you fix boo-boos, but try to avoid them. :smile: Congrats on another boat.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stereo
  • A hole saw works fine for the head and you have less of a chance to make the hole too large. Mine was the same size as the tach, so I had the hole saw in the tool box.
  • For the speakers, a correct sized hole saw is pretty big if you can find one. Before using any tool, find out if the area is clear of wiring, etc. A jig saw, multi-tool, or Dremel, should do the job.
LED lights
  • Wire the LEDs to a dedicated switch from an empty spot in the fuse/circuit breaker panel. You're right about not wiring to the ignition switch because the LEDs should be able to be turned on or off when the motor isn't running. Use your new tool from the speaker install to make the switch mounting hole. :D
Seat removal
  • Is it on any type of pedestal or the seat base is directly on the deck? A photo or two showing the seat would help.

Don't be nervous. We can help you fix boo-boos, but try to avoid them. :smile: Congrats on another boat.

Thank you!

I have a 6 inch hole saw. I used to make Cornhole Boards, before making cornhole boards was cool. I know that's too big, but man those things scared me when going through thick plywood. I could just see my wrist snapping like Steven Segal got me in a wrist lock.

I knew I was thinking correctly about the LED's not going to the ignition, but I couldn't figure out why I knew that. That's why, duh. haha.

I'll get a photo up later, I'm at work. It's almost exactly like a bimini top. There are these 4 triangle pieces bolted to the deck. The seat legs go between these pieces and a bolt shoves through a hole and a nut on the other side. If I can't find the right hardware that I'm imagining, I may just get a wing nut for easy removal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ROTOZIP spiral saw and a face shield

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ROTOZIP spiral saw and a face shield
Thank you! I actually just started looking around and saw a "rotozip vs dewalt rotary" discussion. They both seem rather similar. However, the rotozip dustbag is probably pretty handy with fiberglass.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
shop vac is for dust, the dust bag is useless

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Instead of popping up another topic, I'll just add a 4th question here.

I've noticed that some people have an additional rubber wheel on their trailer, where the bow rests. I have the standard black wheel. The extra wheels are larger in diameter and usually red or orange. Can someone help me with what this is called? I've tried various searches, but I can't find anything and I figure I'm just searching wrong. Is this an aftermarket item to protect the underside of the bow?

GA_Boater

A pic maybe?

Is the roller around the bow eye or under the keel. The 1st is called a bow stop and the 2nd is called a keel roller.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A pic maybe?

Is the roller around the bow eye or under the keel. The 1st is called a bow stop and the 2nd is called a keel roller.
Bow stop! That's it. When I did a search that was what I was looking for. I found what I needed and ordered one now. THANK YOU!.

I was trying to make google decipher my wording "thing that makes the boat sit softly on a trailer" haha!

The one on my trailer is pretty harsh, so I'm going to replace it with something else.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Ok i now have an electrical question. I am adding an led strip. I would like to have it on an accy switch. Here is what I can not figure out and what I assume.

I am using the switch just to the right of the round 12 volt.

1. I assume the top is my power that powers the panels. Leave that alone.

2. I assume the middle is where my hot lead will go from the led? I just need to crimp on one of those connectors?

3. Where do I run the ground from the led? I'm not sure if i tap in to something, run it to the power strip also in the console or what.

Attachments

• photo253873.jpg
    photo253873.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Yep, you need some light. LOL The photo is too dark, HS.

Since I can't see anything, let me add a pic. It may not be exactly like yours, but the principle is the same.

This one has a group of negative or ground connections on one end, run the LED ground to one of the screws. Pick an open fuse or unused fuse position and run a wire from there to the new switch you're adding and from the other side of the switch to the LED. Put the right sized fuse in the fuse block and test the LED.

By using the fuse block for power and ground, the LED circuit is nicely protected like the rest of the factory electrical accessories. Also use crimp on ring connectors for all the connections on the fuse block and crimp on male/female spade connectors for the rest.

Not to knock your electrical ability and/or knowledge, I added some pics of the ring and spade connectors.

fuseblock.PNGring-spade.PNG

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The limitations on the boards for photo sizes are not in line for the beefy camera on my LG. Haha. I took out color to reduce file size. It looked fine on my phone but computers and other screens would vary. My panel is already powered, so i think it's just plugging in the accessory to the right pole. Running ground to the power strip. A buddy called me back to try and help a little. What i don't get now, is if this switch is currently unused, why is something plugged in to it.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
shop vac is for dust, the dust bag is useless

I have been using the shop vac "all around plus" for 15 yrs now at work and use the dust bags. Best thing that ever happened to a shop vac. 95% of my messes are spackle dust, the worst thing for a vacuum motor because it is so fine. I buy the fine particle bags and I have never changed the filter. The bags work awsome right up until they are stuffed full. Just maybe updating for those that haven't used a shop vac with a bag in it. Well worth the expense of the cheap bags to keep motor and filter in top shape. I would recommend the vacuum too for anyone looking for a great small vac for the shop. It has two larger rear fixed wheels in the back and rolls like a home vac. It has never tipped over on a job site like most vacs I have seen. 4.5 gallon, 5 horse I think. Great shop vac.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
a dust bag in the shop vac is spectacular and I use them all the time

shop-vac-clean-filter.jpg

the little clip on dust collection bag for the spiral saw or a circular saw or palm sander is what I was referring to as useless.
8b5544bd-4733-42e6-8a0a-1ca43c685f41_600.jpg

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The limitations on the boards for photo sizes are not in line for the beefy camera on my LG. Haha. I took out color to reduce file size. It looked fine on my phone but computers and other screens would vary. My panel is already powered, so i think it's just plugging in the accessory to the right pole. Running ground to the power strip. A buddy called me back to try and help a little. What i don't get now, is if this switch is currently unused, why is something plugged in to it.

Don't plug anything directly into the accessory switch. Those leads on the accessory switch should go to a terminal board (probably under the dash) with empty lugs that you can attach your LED leads to. LEDs are polarity sensitive, so if you plug them in and they don't work, reverse the leads.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't plug anything directly into the accessory switch. Those leads on the accessory switch should go to a terminal board (probably under the dash) with empty lugs that you can attach your LED leads to. LEDs are polarity sensitive, so if you plug them in and they don't work, reverse the leads.

I'll look further, but I just popped the entire panel out, and there is nothing else to attach to. There are no extra wires, open slots or anything I could use.

Each switch has it's own fuse/breaker box below it. Those are tapped together inline with power running to the first "box". Each individual box then has a wire tapped to the top plug on each switch, which I assume powers that switch. Below that, is what I assume to be the accy pole. But, I see what you're saying, because there's already a wire there that runs down in to a tube that runs somewhere I can't find. I've searched everywhere and there is absolutely nothing I can find. I'll search the stern again, but it's a small boat with not much room to hide.

I knew something was wrong, so I appreciate you responding and making me pause a bit.

On a brighter note (pun intended), I soldered up those led's last night and hooked them to my jumper and holy crap are they pretty and bright!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
a dust bag in the shop vac is spectacular and I use them all the time.

the little clip on dust collection bag for the spiral saw or a circular saw or palm sander is what I was referring to.

Gotcha, +1 for the little dust bags. The one on my Palm sander just falls off in about a minute and you don't even notice. That's how good it works when installed. Once my sander dies I'm going to get one with a round exhaust so I can attach the vac to it. It just won't die though.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Ok. Let's try this again. Here is a better shot. The switch panel is all powered already. I have 2 switches that say accy. In the photo there is the round 12 volt cig lighter plug kinda cut off on the left then 2 switches to the right of that are the two accy switches. The wire to the top of the switch has to be the power to power the switch. The next pole down must be the accy pole. I just don't grasp why there is a wire on it already. I know someone mentioned there is a terminal somewhere but there is nothing anywhere. There's a plate for grounding in the rear by the battery and there is a red and black power strip in the console but these would be constantly powered. I would love for this wire on the middle to run somewhere easy to access but I swear there is nothing anywhere on this boat.

I'm at a loss here.

Attachments

• photo253914.jpg
    photo253914.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I almost feel like it wires like this. But again, i don't get why something is plugged in to that pole already.

Attachments

• photo253915.jpg
    photo253915.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1