Is my motor too small?

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
That 25 will be fine. I used an 83 Merc 25 as a trolling motor 9 my 22' Cuddy. A 6 gallon can would last me 20 hours or so of pushing that boat at 1.5 - 3 mph. A few times it had to bring me back 5 - 10 miles when the big motor wouldn't start. 7.5 mph was a comfortable speed for the motor to just hum along, not overworking it, but still working it. It now sits on the back of my dad's 16' Alumacraft. I don't know how fast it goes, but it planes out fine with my dad @ 240, my uncle @ about 200 and me @ 180. The 65 that was on it blew. I put this on just so they could still fish. Dad says he isn't giving it back. You might end up liking it!

roffey

Commander
reading the title of this post sounds like the start of a joke .... does this boat make my motor look small, LOL

dwco5051

Commander
Heck I learned boating with a 7.5 sears air cooled motor,you don't get much more pathetic than that.
It does. The first boat I operated by myself had a 1948 Elgin 3.5. No neutral, no reverse, you turned the motor 180 degrees for reverse. On a 12 foot jonboat. I figured once I could dock that on windy day I could slide anything right into the tightest space on a pier. That was another childhood dream shattered when I started in on bigger boats.

PS. I was ten or eleven back then when I was allowed to go out on lake by myself.

Last edited:

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
? The boat is rated for a max of 115 and a 889 persons capacity

May want to start a shuttle service to Italy?

airshot

Rear Admiral
If your just looking to fish you will be fine. I have a 9.9 kicker on my 22' Islander and used it to get in one day. I got almost 12 mph in calm water according to my gps, can't ski behind it but it will definetly get you around. I would bet you will see at least 15 mph or a little more depending on how heavy your boat is. Now for some good fish recipes!!

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys got some good news today. Found a hell of a deal on a 80hp mercury. Now just how to get the money out without the wife finding out lol I'm going to look at it tomorrow.... JUST LOOK AT IT

roffey

Commander
sounds like fun and maybe you can keep the 20hp as a kicker.... now your talking...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Make sure you have a good solid transom and decking with no rot before hitting the waves.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys got some good news today. Found a hell of a deal on a 80hp mercury. Now just how to get the money out without the wife finding out lol I'm going to look at it tomorrow.... JUST LOOK AT IT

What year merc? The older mercs were known for wires deteriorating. I had a 78 50hp that had that going on and it was a pain in the butt until I bit the bullet and rewired it. After I replaced the wiring it ran like top the only thing I ever had to do was the impeller,plugs and gear lube. Just figured I'd mention that's something to look at if it's an older merc.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Good news for sure. When I bought a 15HP Mariner kicker that matched perfectly by year and colour my 115 Mariner my wife only noticed after a few days. I just told her the big motor had a baby. Tell her the little guy has been going to the gym. Those old Black Mercs are tough old gals and hard to kill. Of course you are going to go through that boat from stem to stern before you splash her and load her with all the safety items you are required to have.. And sit at the dock for more than 5 minutes before you go out to make sure it floats, right? And I would keep that 20 as a kicker and back up. Nothing like back ups on old boats.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Just wanted to brag about my new motor here it is

Attachments

• photo254460.jpg
    photo254460.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2