Is my motor too small?

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I got a 77 champion for 100$ hey not too bad. Being my first boat. Got to redo the wiring and a few other things but that's not my concern. I just hadon't a new baby so a boat motor is not in my budget. I have a mercury 25 my dad said I could have. It's only 10 years old. But will this motor work on my 17' champion? The boat is rated for a max of 115 and a 889 persons capacity and 1295 maximum weight capacity. I understand it is most definitely not the ideal motor but I just need it to get me to my favorite fishing holes on a few different lakes, untill I can save up and buy a bigger motor

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Way too small. You wont get up on plane, however you can putt along to your fishing spots

roffey

Commander
I say, yup it will work. Scott said it will not plane and I agree but as you said "a mercury 25 my dad said I could have". You just cant beet free and with a new baby the quiet time you get on the water will be priceless. You can always upgrade later

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Is you propeller too 'big"

You may want to try less pitch on the prop for pushing a boat that's large for your motor so you don't lug it.

I wouldn't spend any money repropping it. As Scott said, it'll putter along fine. That boat would need 80+ horsepower to perform, at which point the OP could look to optimize pitch.

My .02

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
The common formula is you want at least 70% of your max rated horsepower for acceptable performance. As said though, it'll get you to your fishing spot eventually. Won't be much fun to tube behind :eek:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
for what you want it to do,, it will work perfectly, $100 out of pocket,,, enjoy it. Fish on!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A $100 77 Champ, yeah t's probably a good thing you only have a 25 horse to put on it. Be sure you have PFDs and a bilge pump that works.

eavega

Lieutenant
Heck, you can move the boat with an electric trolling motor if you need to, so the 25 will work. I can suggest an alternate solution of asking your dad if its okay to sell the 25 to get something bigger. 'round here folks are very proud of their sub 30 HP motors, and a 10 yr old 25 HP could fetch enough for an even swap for an older model (read late 70's or early 80's) 70+ HP motor that will put you closer to where you want to be in terms of power.

-E

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys this is some great info it's a tough decision but things can change and it all depends on how quick I get the boat up and going. I work on commission so maybe by then I will make some good sales. As far as selling the 25 I think what my dad meant by letting me have the 25 means here u can have this untill u get your own then I want it back so I can sit it in my garage and look at it lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I say run what you brung. Understand your situation with a new baby and tight money BTDT. I say install the engine and use it like it is. Speed is not going to be great, but you still can get around and fish and that is well worth the effort. There are always deals down the road for bigger, better boating issues. But as the HP goes up, so does the fuel usage as well. And with tight money, that little engine will be the best for now. JMHO

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I agree... put the 25 on there and go fishing!

Here's my 16' Starcraft Kingfisher with my big carcass, my wife and the boy on board. The boat is rated for 50HP but I have an 8HP tiller Johnson on there for the time being.

It's no speed demon and doesn't quite get on plane, but it does move us around quite well. I'd bet that your 25 on the Champion would likely perform similarly.

OK at what rpm can you plane with a 115 ?

How many HP is a 115 making at that RPM ?

Cant find chart for 115

PowerRequired-350Mercruiser_3.jpg

jkust

Rear Admiral
Is it too small, I think the answer is a resounding yes. Given you are contemplating boating in a boat that cost $100, I'd say if it allows you to fish, it's just fine. Maybe when you move to that next boat, you can put more time in to worrying about the engine size.

southkogs

Staff member
Years ago I had a 15' tri-hull bow-rider that was rated for 100HP. I couldn't afford a replacement outboard for it, so I used an older 50HP Evinrude I had for it. As a rule the 50 wouldn't put her up on plane. Occasionally, with just me in the boat she'd climb on top of the water but it was rare (tail wind + following sea + falling down a waterfall, etc) ...

... wound up doing that for about 5 years. Kids loved it. We just "barged" here and "barged" there. Fished some, swam a lot.

Don't expect speed. Enjoy being on the lake. Buy a new motor when ya' can.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is it too small, I think the answer is a resounding yes. Given you are contemplating boating in a boat that cost $100, I'd say if it allows you to fish, it's just fine. Maybe when you move to that next boat, you can put more time in to worrying about the engine size.

+1 Worry about motor size on your next boat or if you run across a good motor deal between now and then.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys it looks like I'm going to be putting the 25 on my boat. It will get me out on the water and hopefully putting some fish in the boat. Now just gotta find some controls for it and I'll be reeling em in.... thanks alot

82rude

Rear Admiral
Heck I learned boating with a 7.5 sears air cooled motor,you don't get much more pathetic than that.