Oil in bilge

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
I have been getting oil in my beilge can not fine where it's coming from not engine oil or power steering is it possible that gear oil from outdrive may be coming in due to bad seals

mr 88

Commander
Probably your trim pump which is usually mounted on the transom close to the center. Hoses normally hook up on the bottom of pump. Put something dry under it and run pump up and down a couple times to see if that's the issue. No its not gear oil from the outdrive.

Bass Buster One

Seaman Apprentice
I'm pretty sure some models do have Outdrive Gear Lube reservoirs mounted usually to the forward end of the engine, or could be mounted to the transom. Just saying...........worth a look see. If so, there's a fitting at the transom that could leak. Gear Lube is pretty thick though, so might could tell from feel; versus how oil feels.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
best way to tell gear lube is the smell- it reeks. Similar to axle grease.
Engine oil will be dark gray and smells like, well, oil. Pull the dipstick and smell it for comparison.
Hydralic fluid is usually red or yellow-ish, won't be too dark, and usually if it smells at all, it's sort of a sweet smell.

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
Just to help identify the issue the boat is a 1987 Volvo Penta 220 with 225 engine inboard checked level on trim. Tab on

Checked level on trim tab pump no loss of oil 1987 Volvo Penta 220 with 225 engine inboard ..

southkogs

Staff member
alvinals5 I changed the heading to your topic ... I kept reading it a "beige" and couldn't figure out why. I'm not even that OCD :)

I've got a reserve of gear lube on the inside of the transom wall like Bass Buster mentioned. So, that's a possibility too if you have the same. Does the oil look like it's flowing from the front of the engine bay back toward the bilge, down one of the walls or just pooling in the back? Also, if you clean it up - how much, and how fast does it show back up?

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
Found oil coming out of the area where the starter engages the flywheel something to do with an engine seal I figure

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
gee, that would usually be a main seal. They do not leak often, so confirm that it is motor oil (versus gear oil). If gear oil, it is likely the seal near the u joints on the driveshaft of the outdrive. Not a bad repair to make.