1976 Starcraft SuperSport Rescue

Tinnman

Cadet
Well, got another set of seats out of a scrapped boat for free at a local marina. Finished bow rail. Old, but serviceable.
Surprising what a little cleaning and duck tape can do.

I am still amazed at these boats, still solid and running after 40 years, Kudos StarCraft!

Tinnman

Cadet
No Title

Oops, here are the pix

Attachments

• photo254044.jpg
    photo254044.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254045.jpg
    photo254045.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You are doing a great job. From where to were did you measure it? It sure looks to be much longer than 16'. I doubt very much if it is less then 18' it looks to be 20 actually. I am told they measure from the back of the transom above the splash well to the tip of the bow. That boat looks identical to a friends that redid his 19' StarCraft. He pulled off the walk through windshield and made it a centre council walk around. The extra room is amazing. It's used for fishing 100%. I might rethink the back to back seat layout. I never see anyone sit in that back seat and the room it takes up is a waste. Hit a good size wave and you will bonk heads with the rear passenger.

I would leave the bow rail for 2 reasons. It maintains the original classic look and I like a bow rail for tying off lines. I am not 100% sure if lines should be tied off to the rails though. I know buddy that redid his StarCraft does and he owns a small marina and he has been boating since birth, his father owned a few commercial fishing boats here on Erie and he took over up to 10 years ago when he retired. 78 years young.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good to me, nice score on the seats, they look like new. I'm not much on the "head knocker" type of lounge seats either but to each his own and they sell lots of them.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Picures are deceiving its a 16 ss .,I have the same one .16.38 is correct for 160 ss.

Tinnman

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback...............

These days there are only two of us who will be in the boat(wife and I).

The back seats for us are perfect for sitting and fishing. Actually, she prefers the bow...oh well.

It is a sixteen, measuring from above the transom to the bow tip. The title says 18, but being in New Jersey, I didn't want to "rock the boat" when I applied for the new owner title. Apparently something was mislabeled or changed in the dim 40 year past history of this SS. The previous owner bought it in 2006 according to the old title, however it's been laid up in a yard for years. Could have come from out of State before that. Not sure if there is a way to research the history??

jbcurt00

Staff member
Except looking it thru the state reg/title, no way I'm aware of to get its history...... You already applied to NJ for a title?

As a 1976, it should have a HIN, just make sure it matches the Reg/title # and go boating.

If it were mine, I would call the state office that deals w boats (here in WV, thats the DMV) and ask about correcting title errors. They happen. If you call, you dont have to give them too much info, just ask if theres an error, how do they handle it.

Mine are all old enough not to have factory HINs, so on 2 WV issued a WV HIN. When they arrived, 1 was correct, the other didnt match the title. 2 #s were transposed. Left the title, which was correct and remade that boats metal HIN tag. Happens, took a week or 2 to get the reissued plates.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Funny how the angle of the pic and the white interior make it look larger than it is.As for the tag most likely somebody wanted to put a larger motor than the rated 85 on there.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I stand corrected, you would know how long your boat is. Pictures are deceiving for sure. Looking at the trailer gives me a btter idea of how small the boat is.

In Canada it really isn't that difficult to re register a "barn" find boat with little or no information to go on. For some reason Canadians do not register smaller pleasure craft. They say 60% of older pleasure craft here is not registered with the Feds. All pleasure craft are registered federally, not by Province.

Have you thought about putting down a wood floor? Engineered hardwood maybe. Thin, light weight and durable, a coat of spar varnish and it's water resistant, I won't say water proof but close. Or one of these new glue down space age vinyl floors that look like wood. A pal installed one in his cabin and I had to get on my knees to see if it was wood or not it sure looks real. Decks on boats have been wood since the boat was first invented. I have always wanted to do a wood deck on a smaller boat.

Last edited:

Tinnman

Cadet
wood deck at this stage, with salt water, not an option for me. The faux teak decking materials that would work are way out of budget range. (still trying to sell my 251 Chris Craft Catalina to raise funds for a bigger o/b) not much left for the SS. Non skid paint on existing deck is my easy option.

I may look into the title correction, but not until next season. Living in New Jersey is a challenge from boats to guns. I'm surprised they don't require registering lawnmowers.

Right now it's 73 and sunny, calm wind and high tide.................I'm goin' fishing.:joyous:

Tinnman

Cadet
And here, fishing in Tuckerton Bay, 84 degrees and sunny. The SS doing her job albeit only with a 9.9.

It's been a short time that I've been working on her, but a long time from the scrap yard.
This is a great group, thank you all for the input.

WP_20161019_13_29_42_Pro.jpg WP_20161019_13_29_24_Pro.jpg WP_20161019_13_29_11_Pro.jpg WP_20161019_13_30_01_Pro.jpg

Watermann

Nice scene, it's 44 here and a cold rain has been coming down since 2:00 am.

Tinnman

Cadet
Probably not original to the boat, but I couldn't pass up this cool Starcraft OEM wheel. Very hard to find any emblems or medallions for Starcraft boats online. I wanted one for the dash, but settled for a decal. When I saw this wheel, it was one of those "I gotta have it!"
It was rust stained when I received it, but a few days with a SEM Vinyl Coat refinish process brought back like new.
Sadly, time to put her to bed for the winter,(which can get pretty rough here on the Jersey coast) wheel old.jpg wheel 0.jpg wheel1.jpg

Watermann

Nice score, I like that wheel :thumb:

Winter layup is always a bummer. :grumpy:

Tinnman

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Finally crawled out of my winter den, still chilly but started a few projects.
I re upholstered the cushions over the winter. changed out the 9.9 merc for a 25 merc. (Engine is a 25HP 1995, 20" shaft, elect. start. Fairly good shape,runs,shifts and pumps great. The ID plate was almost entirely worn away. I got a serial number off the freeze plug cover on the block. (0G191236).
Could be a 25, 25 Marathon or a 25 Sea Pro??, Any insights ???
AND, some of you were correct, this is an 18 foot! I bought a 16 cover and it was just about two feet short., 18 fit just right. I guess I messed up on the original
measurements. Photos to come........

Watermann

Well if the decals are Merc then I would say it has to be the 25 Seapro. Post a pic or 2.

Tinnman

Cadet
Well guys,getting closer to spring and closer to completion.

As I previously said (much to my chagrin) its an 18 ft (SUS 180) not the 16 I thought it was.
Changed the 9.9 for a twenty five (tight budget still).

Painted interior, installed re-upolstered bow cushions,got correct remote controls and installed new tank and new gas line.
Refinished rear cockpit sliding doors. Ready now to paint bottom ( paid $179 for Total boat Krypton copper free paint gal.......ouch!)
Come a long way from the scrap yard. P3230065.JPG P3230064.JPG

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Maybe you used a tape measure that was stretched. It happens. I can't wait to get my StarCraft out of hibernation. A few weeks.