Looking at 88 ski centurion project

Hey just thought I would throw it out there but I have someone offering me a 88 centurion for 750. They started at 1700 and I talked them down. I went and did a quick look at it last week. The very back of the floor is soggy and it's been sitting for 6 years. Comes with the trailer and has 675 hrs on it. Anything I should look for?

http://s875.photobucket.com/user/mi...9-44DE-B61D-8BAC3D154E00_zpsj9ctlnkj.jpg.html

http://s875.photobucket.com/user/mi...4-4EFB-BA53-36A309AA2A34_zpspqgfvlug.jpg.html

http://s875.photobucket.com/user/mi...9-4396-B989-1FACD8D27610_zpszvueyadr.jpg.html

oldjeep

Admiral
Main thing is figuring out if the stringers are all rotten too. I'd also check that trailer over really well before attempting to tow it anywhere.

He said he would take 750, but he also said he's moving and. Reds it gone by today. Tempted to offer 500. I know under the rear was very spongy the rest didn't feel to bad. Do u think it's a lost cause. Not knowing engine condition what do you think it would be worth

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
It depends what it is worth to you restored. Spongy floors are usually indicative of further rot. Floor neglect usually equals engine neglect. Restoration projects like this usually cost more than what the boat is worth. It sounds like the seller knows a lot is bad with the boat. I would think that hauling his junk away for free would be a bargain for him as it is out of his hair and he doesn't have to pay to dispose of it.

With that being said, if you are a DIY guy willing to work with fiberglass and engines, you can restore the boat for probably more than you can sell it for, but would be a nice project if you need a hobby.

Yeah I would do everything my self. I can usually find pretty good deals on fixing things up. If the engine is good. Then it shouldn't be that bad but if engine is bad and floor is bad. It's gonna be a ton a work.

southkogs

Staff member
Bad floor - questionable stringers - engine doesn't run - neglected for 6 years.

The boat was never worth $1,700 ... probably not worth $700 ... personally, I'd see what I thought I could get back outta' the trailer and offer him that price ($300?). If he says "no," you've lost nothing but a lot of work.

You don't really get away with doing "half" a floor. That's not the way these things tend to go ... you've likely got a buncha' soggy foam under that deck, and who knows what else is going on. If you're not really hung on a BIG project, I'd save the extra money and look for something that was more ready to go. If you can pick her up for next to nuthin', then maybe take a chance. It's going to be more work than you think.

Welcome aboard.

oldjeep

Admiral
Bad floor - questionable stringers - engine doesn't run - neglected for 6 years.

The boat was never worth $1,700 ... probably not worth $700 ... personally, I'd see what I thought I could get back outta' the trailer and offer him that price ($300?). If he says "no," you've lost nothing but a lot of work.

You don't really get away with doing "half" a floor. That's not the way these things tend to go ... you've likely got a buncha' soggy foam under that deck, and who knows what else is going on. If you're not really hung on a BIG project, I'd save the extra money and look for something that was more ready to go. If you can pick her up for next to nuthin', then maybe take a chance. It's going to be more work than you think.

Welcome aboard.

Well, running and in half decent condition that boat is worth 8K. Inboards are not like I/O's they inexplicably keep their value

southkogs

Staff member
Well, running and in half decent condition that boat is worth 8K. Inboards are not like I/O's they inexplicably keep their value
... sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear: yes, if that boat was functioning and usable it would be worth more than $1,700 (though I'm not sure it would fetch $8k where i am). In the condition that it is in now, wasn't worth the $1,700 he was originally asking for it.