Rats!

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Both my boats are trailered, and I have never stayed tied up anywhere for any appreciable length of time. But next week I will be moored for four days and nights at a city dock. It has occurred to me that I have never seen anybody using rat guards on the boats that tie up there. I will have at least a bow line and a stern line and maybe a breast line, along with a shore power cable. I imagine anything small enough to fit my lines yet large enough to repel boarders would have to be home made, which I'm sure I could do with sheets of aluminum flashing I have handy.
Am I concerned about nothing? Anybody with experiences to relate?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Two-legged rats are probably a bigger concern.

There is that. The good news is this is a hot rod and doo wop event spanning several days, so there should be plenty of people about and other boats tied up as well. This should help to curtail the activities of the bottom feeders, I hope.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just my opinion, If I were tied up for a lot longer time, I would be concerned with such things as rats and mice. But for a few days, I really don't think that would be a serious issue. I would say, like stated above, the two legged rats are probably more of an issue then the four legged type. But that is just me. It would be quite easy for anybody to go aboard and pilfer most anything they like. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
maybe get a cat to take care of the rats (both kinds)

Brutus-Liger-big-cat.jpg

all seriousness aside, I wouldnt worry about it.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I'd worry more about the 2 legged kind. I walked up on a guy digging through my boat 2 years ago. I had a cop friend near by. I called him and then went and talked to the guy. He acted like he owned my boat until my buddy asked to see the paper work and I pulled it out of my wallet.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
all seriousness aside, I wouldnt worry about it.

Yeah, I have plenty of other things to do in preparation. It's a 63 mile trip with one lock to transit. I'll have shore power, but only the water I bring. I still have to pack five days of clothes and food (lots of Ramen noodles!)
This little excursion is proving to be as exciting as any deployment I ever went on, well except for the Gulf which involved shooting!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, I have plenty of other things to do in preparation. It's a 63 mile trip with one lock to transit. I'll have shore power, but only the water I bring. I still have to pack five days of clothes and food (lots of Ramen noodles!)
This little excursion is proving to be as exciting as any deployment I ever went on, well except for the Gulf which involved shooting!

Oh if a two legged vermin is on your boat, there may by shooting.

harleyman1975

Ensign
I have had many boats moored all summer and only one unauthorized boarder...an otter had lunch in my boat...oh and spiders...many spiders...but no rats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would skip the ramen mysel. if you have a grill, cant go wrong with burgers, brats, fresh caught fish, etc. the pre-cooked brats will stay in a cooler for a week. heck, I have cooked hot dogs by wrapping them in aluminum foil and placing on the intake manifold of the motor. pasta salads, sandwiches, etc. keep for up to a week as well.

bring a case of bottled water just in case. (I stuff mine in the storage under the v-berth cushions)

82rude

Rear Admiral
I have had many boats moored all summer and only one unauthorized boarder...an otter had lunch in my boat...oh and spiders...many spiders...but no rats.

Ever try spiderban?Works great.Boating near FLA?Snag a small python,rat issue solved!

rcmpvet

Seaman Apprentice
I will have at least a bow line and a stern line and maybe a breast line, along with a shore power cable. I imagine anything small enough to fit my lines yet large enough to repel boarders would have to be home made, which I'm sure I could do with sheets of aluminum flashing I have handy.
Am I concerned about nothing? Anybody with experiences to relate?

Run your lines through some 3/4" PVC pipe, rats/mice would not be able to walk those lines.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I got a tip years ago from a local exterminator. Take a fresh bar of Irish Spring soap and shave a few pieces off into a small cup or bowl. Place some in whatever you want to deter rodents or insects from inhabiting. Works good for spiders too. Refresh the bowl or cup monthly or sooner if you have a lot of moisture or humidity to deal with.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Oh if a two legged vermin is on your boat, there may by shooting.

My office is within walking distance of the Levee and I walk down there at least once a day (gotta stay healthy!). I think I spotted one of those vermin recently. Some guy was about to walk down the gangplank to where a couple boats were tied up, he saw me at the last minute and suddenly did an about face and departed the area. :laugh:

Here's what the Levee looks like:
haddad-riverfront-park-charleston-wv-boat-docks-2.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm still hoping to make my several hundred mile run to knoxville over a weeks time. Jealous.

And pics or it never happened.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I have been docked at marinas from Pickwick TN to Palmetto FL and have never heard of a rat getting on board. Like others said be more concerned about the two legged rats and not all the sharks are in the water.