Getting ready for winter in snow country!

NHGuy

Captain
Last year I constructed a support that went high over the boat to get a steep roof. It had a straight ridge pole that stood up high with a tarp over it. This was to get the snow to slide off easily. It was a pain to put up, but I was determined to keep the snow from bashing my curved glass windshield. Then we had a non winter.
Part of my support stuff has broken and I have done some searching for more ideas.
One guy did a youtube with a center rib of 1.3/4" or 2" PVC and 3/4" side curved ribs. This looks easier to set up than the cluster I did last year. I'm a DIY guy, I just don't usually want workmen around my boat doing a shrinkwrap job. It already has enough marks on it, and I know they will make more.

So here's the question. I believe curved top shelters shed snow better. That's true right? If I were to do the curved top I'd probably do a rib every couple of feet? 3 feet? 4?
I'm going to look into those shelters in a box things too.

shrew

Lieutenant
The best method to shed snow is to shrinkwrap. Some would say indoor storage, but technically that suspends the snow with a fixed structure. It doesn't actually shed it very well. Tarp's require a considerable support structure and need to be pulled very tight to properly shed snow and prevent failure. In the Lakes Region, just south of the White Mountains (I live in NH as well), I'd use a heavy mil shrinkwrap.

Just my .02

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
So here's the question. I believe curved top shelters shed snow better. That's true right? .

Curved top shelter? Not sure what you mean.

We did a simple one for a 17 ft boat last winter, but it didn't really get tested (western NY, not much winter last year either). Basically strung a line high up between 2 trees, strung a tarp over the line, over the mooring-covered boat. Very steep, no snow could stay on it

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
best way to shed snow is not to live anywhere it snows.. :tea: that said,, anything with slope will work, metal roof/ plastic best, shingles hold snow...

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
So here's the question. I believe curved top shelters shed snow better. That's true right? If I were to do the curved top I'd probably do a rib every couple of feet? 3 feet? 4?
I'm going to look into those shelters in a box things too.
I think it's a toss-up. There's no pitch at the very top so snow can accumulate there, but the pitch quickly gets vertical at the sides so the snow will slide off. A very steep straight roof won't allow snow to stick either. The type to avoid is anything less than 30?, IMO, where snow and ice can pool and pile on until it collapses.

I personally like the PVC ridge and vertical standpipes with rope "rafters" every few feet if you have sturdy rails or cleats to tie them off to. In all but the longest pontoon boats the ridge is short enough to remain straight.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is generally my setup and it works great. PVC pipe frame with a heavy duty tarp that I replace every 2 to 3 years or so depending on condition. Snow doesn't stay on it for very long....

tpenfield

Staff member
The tough thing about using frame and tarp (instead of frame and shrinkwrap) is that it is harder to get the covering tight enough to shed the snow in all cases. A lot depends on the type of storm . . . if it is very cold, then the snow will tend to shed easily, if it is just below freezing, mixed with rain/sleet, then the snow is likely to stick to the tarp/covering and cause sagging.

I don't think a rounded shape is going to be better than a basic 'A' frame. Probably will be worse. I just use an 'A' frame and try to get the peak and ridgeline high enough so that the covering will shed snow in most cases. Being in NH, you probably have an advantage over my Cape Cod location :)

Here are a few pics of my setup. I made 'A' frames out of 8 foot lumber and then run the ridge over the frames. I've had to beef up the ridge piece over the years vs what the picture shows. Then I get the tarp as tight as I can.
IMG_1409.jpg
IMG_1817.jpg

I have also found that a darker color tarp works better to melt the snow on sunny days than the lighter (white or blue) coverings.

NHGuy

Captain
Yea, I did a tall ridge last year and still have most of the parts. I'll probably do that again. I'm too cheap to pay for a shrinkwrap job.

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You could invest in one of these, I used one for years till we bought a new house with a shop/barn...

Boat%20canopy,%20garage,%20shelter.jpg

drrnjnr

Seaman
I need more space when I see all this lovelly stuff................:eek:, Doesn't the grass "Breath", creating moisture??