How do I clean my houseboat refrigerator

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All,

I have a 15 cubic foot refrigerator that stinks. This summer, the dock that I'm on had to be rewired with GFCI's and when power was returned, the breaker for my slip tripped. I had food that was left over from an outing and it all spoiled. I was in and out of town, so it sat there for a month and the contents all spoiled.

I cleaned it all out and sprayed Pine-Sol throughout yesterday. I'm thinking of power washing the inside and soaking it again with Pine-Sol and pray.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I can truly get it cleaned and I'm considering buying a used refrigerator off of Craigslist.

So, does anyone know how to get the stink out of a fridge?

Thanks,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bleach

and if the smell is thru-out the boat, an ozone generator

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Bucket of water, sponge, and baking soda. Wet the sponge and sprinkle baking soda on it. Wipe down every surface of the refrigerator, including the door gasket. Then leave an open box of baking soda inside the fridge.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Put some ammonia in a small bowl; put it in the fridge; leave door cracked open. It works!

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Smelly refrigerators are best replaced from my experience, sadly for me. However, I'm in the camp of water and baking soda. The ammonia or newspapers might be interesting, and not hard to try. (Don't mix bleach and ammonia though)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Had same.Get a spray bottle or pump up bug/fertilizer sprayer.Fill with bleach.Not the new dripless or concentrated kind that clorox makes.Just old school store brand bleach.Spray every inch of the fridge starting with the very top spraying up.Get every inch ,nook and cranny door seal etc. saturated.Pull drawers and shelves dont miss a spot..Leave it open till it dries up and then wipe it out with wet towel.That should do it.If by some stretch of the imagination that does not work(it will work) ,before you decide to get another fridge.spray inside with appliance epoxy paint $4 a can.Guaranteed to work but he bleach will do it for sure.Charlie