Duplicate moorring covers??

CJK440

Seaman
The covers on my 96 Rinker 180 are wearing thin and I think they will tear in less than a season. I'd like to find somebody who can use my old covers as a pattern to make new ones over the winter. I have a cockpit cover that snaps to the top of the windshield and a bow cover too.

I came across www.copycovers.com which looks like they have a system that can do what I want. Does anybody have experience with them or can suggest another company who can do the same?? Anybody have this done before??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your local canvas guy would be my first recommendation.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Your local canvas guy is local, usually better quality, you can see his work, and in many cases, they come to the boat. my local guy is about same price as ordering on-line, however I do have to wait for his schedule.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Great Lakes Canvas makes covers for most of the o.e. manufactures. just called in and told them my boats hull id number and they made new covers from their patterns and shipped them to me. perfect fit!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Local canvas maker is the way to go. If it's a snap on cover, it's the only way.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
you may have one listed as a upholstery shop most do a lot of car interiors but also do boat stuff.

CJK440

Seaman
My local canvas guy does good work and when having them restitch my existing covers, I got a ballpark quote of $2500 for new canvas. I'm sure they would be perfect but that's almost twice what I paid for the boat.

I'm willing to spend a grand for replacements and that seems close to what they show for example pricing.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you buy replacements on-line, just note that the snaps do not come installed. that is part of the fitment process. you will need a snap tool

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I bought a replacement online for my boat, and like Scott says, I had to install the snaps myself. Even with a cheap installation tool (http://www.iboats.com/HEAVEDUTY-SNA...066984--session_id.052532791--view_id.1831876) it was not a bad job. You can buy a more expensive snap installation tool (http://www.iboats.com/Snap-Tool-Kit/dm/cart_id.632066984--session_id.052532791--view_id.1374329) and I'm sure it would be a quicker job.

I used the cheapo version and it still only took an hour or two to install the snaps. It was a very easy job.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Problem with a cheap installation tool is that the snaps get deformed slightly and they don't hold as well as one where they are done properly. Even the $49 tool is considered a cheap tool.

Out of curiosity, do these aftermarket "duplicate" mooring covers have webbing in the area where you are putting the snaps through or just doubled up fabric?

This is the tool that pros use:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/U...ers/index.html

Out of curiosity, do these aftermarket "duplicate" mooring covers have webbing in the area where you are putting the snaps through or just doubled up fabric?

This what they should look like:
IMG_20140206_230118.jpg

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's way better that a multi layer hem. Way thicker and way less chance for the snaps to pull out. Also depends obviously on how many layers when you say multi layer hem. If you are using a cover with a multi layer hem, I certainly would not tow with it.

I also wouldn't say it's easier to do the webbing. It definitely is close to impossible to do unless a walking foot machine is used.

Last edited:

CJK440

Seaman
My current cover has the snaps thru a single piece of material with the end of the material terminated in a binding. While I see how webbing is ideal, I'm looking for a 3-4 year cover. I think I'd be a happy camper to get the same ones I have but new.