Plexiglass instead of canvas as a T-Top cover?

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an older center console and the recent tropical storm took off my canvas T-Top cover.

I was wondering if anyone ever tried to use a piece of Plexiglass instead of canvas to recover a T-top? My T-Top frame is square and flat, I would love to use a piece of tinted plexiglass on top that would allow some light through but be 100% water proof? I could mount my gps stuff to it instead of the poles which would be awesome.

Pro's / Con's??

Will it just crack or shatter?
Fading?
1/4" or 1/2" think?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you use a polycarbonate instead of an acrylic it should last longer and not yellow or crack as much. The coefficient of expansion difference between metal and plastics is significant to there may be issues with very hot or cold periods and stressing the structure. 6 or 9mm should be okay. The bigger the dimension, the thicker you would need to go. Mounting items to it would require 9-12mm

The stuff does get more brittle with age and it scuffs. If you use a dark blue or green tint applied to the inside surface you can keep much of the infrared heat out, and still let in lots of light. Personally, I would stay with a Sunbrella type fabric instead.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just remember that you have a BIG sail over your head, the canvas has some give to it and will flex so that some of the strain is taken off your frame work. Something solid is going to put a lot of strain on your frame work and may bend or break it.

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was thinking of drilling a bunch of holes, about half of what would be used to secure a canvas top and attach it in the same manner that you would normally tie down a canvas top. That would allow for some play and also using foam padding on the rails where it would be resting in the middle to further protect it. I could basically just get a clear piece of Plexiglass and use regular window tint film on the underside of the glass.

I could remove it during the winter much like I could canvas I guess, but $600 canvas tops ever 3-5 years is getting annoying..

If I can get all the materials for less than half of what a canvas would cost, I guess it's worth a shot..