Window trim

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1983 Wellcraft Sunhatch 196 Hull#WELE1158M83D. I need to install the 2 front windows and am looking for the rubber window trim (about 16 ft worth). I have tried glass/auto shops, marinas, RV repair shops, marine salvage yard with no success. I contacted Wellcraft to see about getting the window PN to order through Taylor Made. Well craft told me they have no records of any boat prior to 2008. In the process of moving they lost all previous records. I am considering sending a sample piece to Taylor Made to see if they can match, but the closest thing I saw on their website cost $5+ per foot and after shipping and handling is about $125. This is a lot more than I want to spend. Does anyone have any Wellcraft PN's back to 1983? Are there any cheaper workarounds for what seems to me to be standard trim for aluminum framed boat windows?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Wefco might stock it, or could remake the profile if you sent a section to them. 1st option will probably be about the same as Taylor. If they remake, $125 would seem a bargain.

IMO, you could spend tons of time and effort digging for a cheaper alternative and after 6months be no closer then you are now.....

I'd bite the bullet, pay the $125, get it much sooner then later, and de done w it.

I seriously doubt anyone here or other boating forums will have a 1983 anything part number for window molding....

but good luck all the same.

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the response. I have one more possibility. My daughter recently moved to a fishing village in Maine and has a marine shop down the road from her that caters to fisherman who actually use their boats for work. I gave her a piece of the molding to see what they think. When I hear something positive back from her I'll add to this post'

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Maybe a good glass shop can get it or give you something that will work in place of it. I took a broken front glass to the one I use, the rubber was shrunk about 30% of its original size. They looked at it and said they couldn't get it but leave it with them and they would work it out. Picked up the new glass and they had used a different type that actually looked better. Ended up taking all the glass/frames in to them to replace all the rubbers, they did a great job and gave me 35% off the regular price - needless to say they are my go to glass shop.

harleyman1975

Ensign
is this going in a "channel"? is it "c" shaped? Perhaps a piece of small rubber hose like vaccum hose would work?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
taylor made has the profiles up on their website, i would check there

regarding wellcraft's records, I bet the files were still in the file cabinets left behind in their sarasota office when they moved out. its now a real estate office that had to be cleaned out for days from the stuff left there. I drive past it about once a month on my way to marine surplus. in fact there are a few molds still out in the yard.

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally found a similar trim to what I need from a Miami based company called Ocean Dynamics. Still pricey at a total cost of $92 for 16 feet (including shipping), but less than Taylor Made at $125. Someone on a another post suggested doing searches for "window glazing" rather than "window trim". You definitely get more hits with the "window glazing"