Glen L TNT porpoising

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a glen L TNT and it has a porpoising problem, it has a 1965 33hp Johnson on it with a gas tank and battery. I weigh roughly 150lbs. If I move weight forward, it's not as bad. I have a block wedged between the top of the outboard and transom to put the prop closer to the transom and the outboard is trimmed down all the way.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Not familiar with the boat. You are on the right track to solving your problem. Usually porpoising is the thrust of the prop is (exaggerating) trying to push water up in the air, making the bow (front) of the boat rise. Solution is either speed up till it quits (available hp limits that ability) or tuck the lower unit in closer to the boat so that the prop is trying to push water deeper. If you are running a side console or tiller from the rear seat, you need to do as you have done and move things forward since you said you are tucked in as far as you can go and you only have so much hp. Last, problem may be caused by the hull having a hook or other variation caused by sitting too long on a trailer out in the elements. That pretty much can't be fixed. If nothing else fixes it, get a Whale's Tail, black plastic gyzmo that looks like a Whale's Tail and bolts to your AV plate just above the prop. With that and your engine in the closest hole, you can force the bow down and stop it.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Whale tale or smart tabs or power tilt/trim motor. That boat is a home built wood boat so it is possible something was not done right when it was built. If you drill any holes in that thing make sure to seal them with 3m 4200 or 5200 marine sealant.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'm quite familiar with porpoising with older plywood hulls. My guess it that the hull has a hook in it due to improper storage. Adding tabs will be money wasted. You need to fair the bottom.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was in a garage for 30years, hung up as I was told, so it may have a hook, I'll find out i the winter when I pull her out. I'm thinking the whale tale sounds like the best option. I've tried speeding up while sitting as far forward as possible and it still porpoises. Motor is a short shaft which is right for the boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Now that I've seen it, I'll tell you what's wrong with it. What I said initially about tuck it in or outrun it. You don't have enough ponies for that sporter to outrun it. Get the tail or a Merc 1000....or something of the sort.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If it has a hook adding more HP will make it worse. Hooks and rockers can affect flat bottom boats too.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If it has a hook adding more HP will make it worse. Hooks and rockers can affect flat bottom boats too.

My comment didn't take hooks or bows into consideration....just applied to "as designed" hulls which I have owned.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Might be a weight and balance issue if you are already trimmed down. Is there room to wrestle a couple of those soft-sided camp drinking water bags way up under the bow? It's always a shame to have to take on unnecessary weight but it might solve your problem. I don't think the weight of a bigger engine on the back is going to help.

If the hull is indeed out of true, one of those full transom width trim plates might help the issue.

Last edited: