Question about buying a boat

KainDrag

Cadet
I'd take a look at this one
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...789296703.html

Here in MN the deals should be starting to pop up as winterizing and storage season approaches

Yea I'm hoping I see some price drops, As far as picking out a boat, do I just find a marine shop nearby and ask if they can do an inspection on it? I know there marine surveyors but i heard at this price range it's not really worth it.

oldjeep

Admiral
Yea I'm hoping I see some price drops, As far as picking out a boat, do I just find a marine shop nearby and ask if they can do an inspection on it? I know there marine surveyors but i heard at this price range it's not really worth it.

This is the fun part about buying a boat in MN. You can find a marine shop and try to have it checked, typically you better be able to wait a couple weeks especially this time of year. Marine surveyors for $8000 boats do not exist around here, so that is out. Best bet is a buddy who knows a lot about boats if you don't who can help you check it out and make sure you water test an older boat, running in the driveway doesn't tell you much.

KainDrag

Cadet
This is the fun part about buying a boat in MN. You can find a marine shop and try to have it checked, typically you better be able to wait a couple weeks especially this time of year. Marine surveyors for $8000 boats do not exist around here, so that is out. Best bet is a buddy who knows a lot about boats if you don't who can help you check it out and make sure you water test an older boat, running in the driveway doesn't tell you much.

Well I know exactly 0 people who know boats so theres that. Theres only one shop in that city the boat is located in, maybe ill give them a call and see where it leads me. On another note are you in MN? I saw your oldjeep site, do you do welding work?

KainDrag

Cadet
Just bought a boat in mn last fall. Did the same thing. Waited until the prices came down on the nice boats that were for sale all summer and then made a low ball offer on a real nice Regal. Got an 03 v-8 boat with only 360 hrs on it for 4000 less than 00 cobalt with 500 hrs on it and we are very happy with it. Fall is definitely the time to buy!

Congrats! Im hoping to be as lucky.

thumpar

Admiral
I bought my Crownline at the end of August a few years ago. It has the Bravo drive and fuel injection. I don't think the guy knew what he had. The engine/drive package is worth almost what I paid for the boat. One tip is to keep looking if it is not a fit for you. Don't compromise or you will regret it and always find something you don't like.

oldjeep

Admiral
Well I know exactly 0 people who know boats so theres that. Theres only one shop in that city the boat is located in, maybe ill give them a call and see where it leads me. On another note are you in MN? I saw your oldjeep site, do you do welding work?
I am in mn in one of the sw suburbs. I do welding of my own stuff not as a job.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd take a look at this one
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...789296703.html

Here in MN the deals should be starting to pop up as winterizing and storage season approaches

That time is already here. We've got a place up north in the Walker area and most all of the boats and waterfront are out.

In Minnesota, I think of the market leaning towards the buyer anytime after the 4th of July for boats and motorcycles. And now, at this time of year, if you've got a boat for sale it's because you need to sell it. If not, you'd wait for April/May.

Anyway, there's got to be some deals out there somewhere.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/5755217230.html (never heard of this brand)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/5777471322.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/5789296703.html

Last edited:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
That time is already here. We've got a place up north in the Walker area and most all of the boats and waterfront are out.

In Minnesota, I think of the market leaning towards the buyer anytime after the 4th of July for boats and motorcycles. And now, at this time of year, if you've got a boat for sale it's because you need to sell it. If not, you'd wait for April/May.

Anyway, there's got to be some deals out there somewhere.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/5755217230.html (never heard of this brand)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/5777471322.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/5789296703.html

Of those, I'd go with the Regal bow rider.
The Four Winns comes with OMC - I would not, could not, buy OMC, Sam I Am!

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'll throw out my 2 cents as a life long boater and lifelong MN Resident and someone who lives on a lake in the summer and lives and breathes boats and boating and compares and rides in them and talks to their owners in person constantly. You are in the drivers seat and I can say that the deals right now are the best of the season. I saw that you tossed out a couple of boats and I'll say to avoid the 3.0 because again, now is the best time to get the most for the least. That means you get a 4.3 for what you would have paid for a 3.0 in the spring....even with a small budget. On brand, for 8k, it's not quite as easy to be picky if you are looking for something in the 2000's but that's maybe beside the point. My take is that the brands can be viewed completely differently when you are comparing any given brands small bowriders to their larger models. For example, Sea Ray makes excellent large boats but their sport series of bowriders are as spartan as can be. You have to get to their Select series and even they are lacking some things and details but their select series start slightly larger anyway. Crownline is ok but in those early 2000's, their smaller ones still had glued down carpet which is unacceptable to me plus they have a narrower beam than some others that were already at the full 8 feet 6 inches or close to it. Cobalt, sure they are decent in those earlier years but still lacking in those early 2000's compared to other competitors and of course they stopped making the smaller models around 2002ish or so if I recall anyway. I won't comment on Chap except to say I've had two and I don't make those choices lightly or jump into buying a boat that I will keep for many years without a lot of reason that they are superior than other options. The rest of the MN boats, the VEC models are good enough. Four Winns is a decent boat as well. Brand is tough because people so often will argue that their brand is this or that because of human nature. It is easy though to see and feel differences and specs though to the contrary many times especially in the bowrider category.

thumpar

Admiral
One thing I have to correct is the Crownline beam. My 1996 is a 8'6" beam and so are all the other 20 and bigger Crownlines. It is only the 19 and under size that were smaller but not by a lot.

jkust

Rear Admiral
One thing I have to correct is the Crownline beam. My 1996 is a 8'6" beam and so are all the other 20 and bigger Crownlines. It is only the 19 and under size that were smaller but not by a lot.
Agreed, the MN sized boat that fits in the garage over the winter seems to be the under 20 footers. I see a lot of the 180's with the 7'8" beam which I suppose as their smallest model is fair.

oldjeep

Admiral
Agreed, the MN sized boat that fits in the garage over the winter seems to be the under 20 footers. I see a lot of the 180's with the 7'8" beam which I suppose as their smallest model is fair.

98" (8ft 2) beam on my 20ft fits fine in the garage.

thumpar

Admiral
Mine fits in a 7' garage door but the sides are only about 1.5" off the trailer fenders.

oldjeep

Admiral
I wish I could say the same. 8'6" beam 23'9 inches plus trailer and wouldn't you know it....the height is the problem for me.

Yeah, I just barely clear a standard 7ft tall door and I had to switch from the standard towhoop on my tower to a garage clearance hoop that doesn't have as much arc so that when the tower is folded down it can clear the door.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Yeah, I just barely clear a standard 7ft tall door and I had to switch from the standard towhoop on my tower to a garage clearance hoop that doesn't have as much arc so that when the tower is folded down it can clear the door.

It is killing me but, the indoor storage by my lake got filled far faster than they said it would so I am relegated to shrink wrapping which is just not at all what I had intended. I've never stored anything outside ever. My garage at the lake has a 7 foot door 6'10" with the door trim and I need an 8 foot for it to just clear the windshield. Stupid Chaparral is too tall.
I need to figure something out next season. Shrink wrap is almost the same price as the indoor storage I missed out on.

oldjeep

Admiral
Just need a garage lift kit. Bunch of jacks and a couple courses of block ;)

KainDrag

Cadet
I called the marina shop in isanti and the old guy that answered told me he's to old to be inspecting anything and that i should buy his friends boat instead.... so thats out the window. Anyone wanna take a paid trip for their time to take a look at this regal with me sometime?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
There is a a member, ap here somewhere. Maybe you can look up someone close