Question about buying a boat

KainDrag

Cadet
So I'm looking into purchasing a boat, my budget is about 8k and I live in Minnesota, minneapolis. I don't have a lake house or anything but I've got a decent sized garage to store it and take it out once the summer comes, family and girlfriend and maybe some fishing. Thing is it seems like once summer comes in Minnesota it's just really bad deals so I'm thinking of getting something now and winterizing it until the summer.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bod/5707389158.html

Saw this one, i don't really know much about boat maintenance but am handy with cars. I've read the basics about to just look for good brands, four wins, and sea ray but don't know much about this one or the engine. Looks like a lot done and the boat looks clean.

Or if anyone can point me elsewhere.

Thanks

KainDrag

Cadet
You read this? http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist
And, I've learned, boats over 10 years can suffer from deterioration of the wood - stringers and transom - under the fiberglass....
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...-topics/10278359-opinions-wanted-on-1988-boat

Hmmm good point, so If I look for something that's less than 10 years old, can I just get away with a simple inspection at a boat dealer? or how does that work?
There is a 2007 four winns 180 horizon near me thats selling for about 9.5k. It has an I/O penta and theres a couple of volvo repair shops near me.

thumpar

Admiral
Condition is the key. Sea Ray and Four Winns are about mid grade brands. I would put Wellcraft in the same category. Make sure you get something that fits your needs. There are lots of different engine sizes and layouts.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I prefer something 1996 or newer, which gives you the Chevy Vortec engines, although they didn't necessarily make their way into all boats until 1997. Fuel injection beats carbs to a pulp, and is worth the extra money.
​This is the time of year to buy. You can't give away a boat after the fourth of July in colder climates. I like about a 2000 Four Winns 200 Horizon in your price range. Built like a tank.

KainDrag

Cadet
I prefer something 1996 or newer, which gives you the Chevy Vortec engines, although they didn't necessarily make their way into all boats until 1997. Fuel injection beats carbs to a pulp, and is worth the extra money.
​This is the time of year to buy. You can't give away a boat after the fourth of July in colder climates. I like about a 2000 Four Winns 200 Horizon in your price range. Built like a tank.

Yea pretty much why I've started looking now, I looked before the summer started and the market looked to expensive. Anyways I looked at my local cl and the only boat above 2000 was this one https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/5765636950.html . There is an OMC 2006 four winns but ive heard bad things about that and a monterey that's about the same price. The next step up from that is https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/5701419129.html this but way more money than I'd like to spend, plus not sure if it will fit in garage and would have to ask dad to go halfsies.

I'm paying cash so I'd think that gives me some leeway in terms of negotiating.

Any thoughts on either of them?

KainDrag

Cadet
Condition is the key. Sea Ray and Four Winns are about mid grade brands. I would put Wellcraft in the same category. Make sure you get something that fits your needs. There are lots of different engine sizes and layouts.

I've always been reading about how sea ray and four winns are top notch, what brands would you say are above those? And as a beginner ive always read that the merc cruiser and volvos are the ones to look for in engines, are there certain versions that are more reliable than others? Thanks

thumpar

Admiral
I've always been reading about how sea ray and four winns are top notch, what brands would you say are above those? And as a beginner ive always read that the merc cruiser and volvos are the ones to look for in engines, are there certain versions that are more reliable than others? Thanks
I usually go with the 3 C's at top. Cobalt, Chapparel and Crownline. Cobalt being best. There are lots of other that are really good. The Sea Ray and Four Winns are not bad boats. They are nice but in my view they are the mid grade most of the time in that class of boat. I would stick with a Merc personally because I know how to work on them but Volvo are fine equipment too.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I think condition is key for almost any year boat in your price range. That Wellcraft looks pretty good - the the pictures anyway. After condition, does it have what you want - layout, power, etc?

I think Cobalt and Crownline may be considered upper build-quality - but I think a well-cared-for, has-what-you-want Wellcraft (of course I may be biased) or similar, is a good way to go.

KainDrag

Cadet
I usually go with the 3 C's at top. Cobalt, Chapparel and Crownline. Cobalt being best. There are lots of other that are really good. The Sea Ray and Four Winns are not bad boats. They are nice but in my view they are the mid grade most of the time in that class of boat. I would stick with a Merc personally because I know how to work on them but Volvo are fine equipment too.

Well now that I look at those C's everything is expensive haha, only one that's close is this one https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/5770933039.html. Not sure if my truck will be able to pull it, but looks like a nice family boat though. I was also leaning towards a smaller boat cause I'm not sure how much effort it would take to take it out and put it back on the trailer after a day of boating.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

KainDrag

Cadet
Maybe a bit on the high side but looks very nice. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/5803176996.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/5800918145.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/bod/5762350402.html

In Minnesota, we're in the land of Larson's, Glastron's, Crestliner's, and Lund's.

Funny, it's almost October and the prices still seem real high to me. I guess it will just take some negotiating.
No kidding, god that first one is beautiful, maybe I'm just digging the old styling and I like the seating arrangement, but that price is wayyy to high isn't it? Especially for a 96

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It can be hard to get a boat in and out of a garage. I have a good sized garage but the doorway is too low to get my boat in. Even if I could do that it would be hard to make the 90 degree turn to back it in in the space I have. I'd also suggest a bowrider style instead of a boat with a cabin. The cabins on small boats are not very useful and waste a lot of usable space. Its not really much harder to launch and retrieve a 22 or 23 foot boat than the smaller ones but for the OP's purposes something in the 19-20 foot range would be the sweet spot.

thumpar

Admiral
What will you be towing with? I think that cobalt is a tad high especially this time of year.

KainDrag

Cadet
What will you be towing with? I think that cobalt is a tad high especially this time of year.

I've got a 98 4Runner, I've installed a transmission cooler and have pretty much replaced most everything as far as maintenance engine wise, its a 3.4l v6.

KainDrag

Cadet
It can be hard to get a boat in and out of a garage. I have a good sized garage but the doorway is too low to get my boat in. Even if I could do that it would be hard to make the 90 degree turn to back it in in the space I have. I'd also suggest a bowrider style instead of a boat with a cabin. The cabins on small boats are not very useful and waste a lot of usable space. Its not really much harder to launch and retrieve a 22 or 23 foot boat than the smaller ones but for the OP's purposes something in the 19-20 foot range would be the sweet spot.

Thanks that's good to know I'll focus in that sector, yea I've been mainly looking at bowriders but the occasional cuddy has shown up.

thumpar

Admiral
For towing I would stick with a 19' or light 20' with the 4runner. That Regal looks nice but the seating is kind of odd to me. My son likes to sit right up front where those cup holders are and the rear sunpad looks like a board.

oldjeep

Admiral
The seating in the back looks a bit odd because that right side (in the picture) of the sunpad comes off and drops down to become a seat/step to get out onto the swim platform. As for sitting in the center front of the bow - I hope you mean at anchor.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Just bought a boat in mn last fall. Did the same thing. Waited until the prices came down on the nice boats that were for sale all summer and then made a low ball offer on a real nice Regal. Got an 03 v-8 boat with only 360 hrs on it for 4000 less than 00 cobalt with 500 hrs on it and we are very happy with it. Fall is definitely the time to buy!