Gas Struts for Engine Hatch on 2250 Capri SS

kyles609

Cadet
I bought a 1996 Bayliner 2250 SS this summer and I finally got the engine hatch hinge mounted on the rotted out holes where it used to mount and now I want to install some gas struts to help open the hatch. I found a parts manual for a 2250 published in 1995 with part numbers and it shows a gas strut part # 58282 and says "Gas Shock 120 LBS" and says Qty 2. I thought 120 Lbs seemed high but the hatch is really heavy and I figured since I was using the original mounting location that was there I should go with that spec.

I bought 2 - 120 gas shocks and it requires way too much force to close. If I'm using the original mounting points and the same type of shock, what am I doing wrong? I took a picture showing the original mount on the bottom side and the new mount on the engine hatch (top) that was where the old one rotted out. You can see I flipped it over to the opposite side so I could utilize some better wood to screw into up top.

drive.google.com/file/d/1teVyyLpUY7sVDzw...7ww/view?usp=sharing

Any help is greatly appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
kyles609, I see what you are talking about. You have two options, remove one and see how that works, or buy two other gas struts with less capability. Other then that, I don' have any other ideas. If you go for two with a lesser capability, make sure they have the same reach and length so they operate correctly without binding. JMHO

Oh, while I am thinking about it, if you remove one, make sure you close the hood/hatch from the side that still has the strut attached. That way there won't be any increased bind on the hinge and opposite side.

kyles609

Cadet
... You have two options, remove one and see how that works, or buy two other gas struts with less capability. Other then that, I don' have any other ideas...

Thanks for the response, I think I will go with a lower rating so the weight is evenly distributed. I tried to use just one and it still seemed pretty tough to close. I'd also love some input on why the parts manual shows two 120 Lb shocks. The boat in the manual looks identical to mine.

Does anyone have a rough weight on these hatches/sun decks? they're pretty heavy when taken off

Also, does anyone have a similar Bayliner that could check theirs? That would be a huge help!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the response, I think I will go with a lower rating so the weight is evenly distributed. I tried to use just one and it still seemed pretty tough to close. I'd also love some input on why the parts manual shows two 120 Lb shocks. The boat in the manual looks identical to mine.

Does anyone have a rough weight on these hatches/sun decks? they're pretty heavy when taken off

Also, does anyone have a similar Bayliner that could check theirs? That would be a huge help!

kyles, if you already remove one and it still was too hard to close easily, then when you buy lesser struts, you may have to look for some in the 30 pound range. Two at 120 pounds is 240 pound capable. One was 120 pound capable. So two at 30 pounds would be 60 pound capable. So buy what you think would be the proper capable need. Again, JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what did the old struts say on the side for part number and pressure. match those

kyles609

Cadet
what did the old struts say on the side for part number and pressure. match those

Unfortunately the guy before me must've trashed them when the mount screws came out of the aged wood on the hatch and they were missing when I got the boat.

I know the 120 Lbs is too heavy but here is the parts manual if you look on page 8. I'd love to know what ppl have in their boats.
http://www.baylinerparts.com/1996/capri/2250bd96.pdf

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I would look for around a total of 60-70 lbs. so two thirties or maybe even two forties. JMHO