Is it firewood or is it worth something? Cruizon speed boat.

Hello I'm new to the forum, My name Is Charlie.

I was able to acquire a late 50's Cruizon speed boat from a friend that was moving. I was aware that the boat was in poor shape before I acquired it but was not completely aware of its exact condition, as my friend wouldn't allow me to clean it out and prod it mercilessly with what was once one of its engine valves. As the owner before my friend purchased the Cruizon left it uncovered and exposed to the baking California sun and our sparse and un-frequent rain, even though this may sound like nothing to most other states it has been able to cause a good amount of rot. The boat was uncover for about 30 years (or more?), the reason was that the gentleman's children played on it when they were small. And now I have what is left of the plywood hull that I have cleaned out and prodded to find that the top of the hull has rotted along the water line, the side of the hull along the front seats and has turned the boat pretty much into three pieces of top and bottom bow and stern only held together by whats left of the fiberglass and the deck if you can call it that is just the separated pieces of plywood laminates. So the question that I have is is it firewood or is it worth something to someone? There is very little I can find about the manufacture relating to the speed boats or ski boats as I have seen them called in the 1 or 2 articles that I have been able to find. I know that Cruzion made very few boats and that they were made in California in Orange County, and that they were (cheap?) plywood boats that could be purchased as a DIY kit that you glassed and installed your own power train and steering set up or fully glassed and (maybe ready to go? Couldn't find out much about this fact either). So any info would be appreciated and of course answering my question of, Is It firewood or is it worth anything? I don't think it can be restored but it could be used for reference purposes to make a replica. Maybe? And I didn't want to chop it up before consulting the world wide web to see if anyone had any interest. Cheers!

002.JPG 001.JPG 013.JPG 003.JPG
004.JPG 006.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 008.JPG 011.JPG 010.JPG

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 2

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As they say in Newfoundland "the arse is out of her by, let her go"

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have a trailer, a steering wheel and some vintage gauges.

the hull is toast.

Ned L

Commander
She is at what best would be called a "pattern boat". This doesn't mean that there isn't some value in her, (though admittedly more intrinsic than monetary). From a monetary perspective there isn't even much in the hardware if you were to strip it clean.
I would certainly recommend not cutting her up immediately. I would contact your local chapter of the ACBS (Antique and classic boat society) and the Chris Craft antique boat club in your area (both have online presences) to see if you can find someone with an interest in her from a local Southern California boat perspective and 'donate' her to someone interested in her.
It's unfortunate there isn't much left of her, but there is enough there to work with if someone happens to have an interest in S. Cal. boats. I've seen far worse used as a starting point.

Good Luck

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Looks like a pretty simple plywood hull. If the structure (stringers, frames, etc.) are any good, you might be able to strip it down and re-skin it. As Ned mentioned, it may only be good as a pattern boat. If it has some historical value, then someone may want it for just that. Once it is burned, it's gone. There may be that one guy who's gramps built them originally and he's looking for something tangible to remember him by and is willing to spend whatever it costs to acquire something that connects him to his heritage. I've seen it happen...

shrew

Lieutenant
Interesting its a "Ship of Theseus" (Lookup "Theseus' Paradox").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

It's a completely rotted plywood boat. You would use this as a template to build the same boat replacing almost 100% of the boat. You're doing your buddy a favor by saving him the cost and labor of disposing of it himself. Of course he wouldn't let you inspect it.....he knew it was rotten. I'm sure he's a good friend, but whether he's a good person is somewhat in question.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You know I am usually the person that comes along and states that it can be rebuilt. However, I honestly don't see anything you could start with to rebuild. I have to say this one would be a NO answer to rebuilding even in my usual upbeat thinking. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

There is literally nothing to rebuild! Sell off the trailer for whatever you can get and be happy it is all gone.JMHO

aspeck

Staff member
I am not sure how good the wood would be for firewood! Yikes!

I bet she was a beauty in her day :). Let her go :(

Oh yes she was! It was a very nice little speed boat. I just wish it hadn't been uncovered for 30+ years and most likely would have been in alot better shape and most likely fixable. But oh well! I will let her go, I never thought it was restore-able form the beginning to be honest, well when I was hauling it to my house it dawned on me. Hahah!

She is at what best would be called a "pattern boat". This doesn't mean that there isn't some value in her, (though admittedly more intrinsic than monetary). From a monetary perspective there isn't even much in the hardware if you were to strip it clean.
I would certainly recommend not cutting her up immediately. I would contact your local chapter of the ACBS (Antique and classic boat society) and the Chris Craft antique boat club in your area (both have online presences) to see if you can find someone with an interest in her from a local Southern California boat perspective and 'donate' her to someone interested in her.
It's unfortunate there isn't much left of her, but there is enough there to work with if someone happens to have an interest in S. Cal. boats. I've seen far worse used as a starting point.

Good Luck

Yes I wasn't expecting much or any monetary gain to be honest. Even though I had someone tell me it was worth something (large amounts of money) but I doubted them so that's why I made this post. In will contact a local boat society or society's and see what I can find. As I hate when historical items are destroyed, and I would hate it more if I was personally responsible. I kind of said the whole fire wood deal to gain interest, was never my full intention. But If it comes to the reality of it being completely worthless that's what will occur.. sadly. And it is unfortunate that there isn't much left of her, but it would be neat to see someone replicate her as she is a simple but pretty boat! Thank you!