How much do I tip a lift operator?

jnb

Cadet
I put my boat in a high and dry and of the two people in line in front of me this weekend one tipped the lift operator nothing and one tipped him $10. In your opinion, how much should I tip? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
up to you, however the guys that get a tip tend to treat your stuff with a bit more care.

tpenfield

Staff member
Just doing the math of the people in front of you . . . $5. :)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As a lift operator myself, you tip $100, lol. Na most don't tip at all, there are a few that do, But it's in the range you posted. Most of our crew don't expect one so it is nice to get one. Each person on the crew gets the same tip, if someone gives me a $100, I split it equally to all crew members, and end up with $10 bucks myself. But we have a large crew, and haul small stuff, up to 150 tons.

jnb

Cadet
Thanks for the input. They are handling the most expensive thing I own and I think they deserve a tip for being careful, but I was concerned that I would hear $10 minimum was standard!

shrew

Lieutenant
My rule of thumb is everyone that is doing a service for me gets tipped. Gas attendants, pumpout guy, anyone that handles my lines, anyone that serves me food of drinks. If someone is fetching me bags of ice, they get a few bucks too.

I tip for the seasonal haul and block in the fall and the seasonal launch in the spring ($20 each direction). If I had a rack storage contract I would tip the entire crew at the end of the season. Since a rack storage contract calls for many hauls and launches somewhere around $100 for the season.