Discolored Hull

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Purchased a 1993 inflatable hard bottom AB and has been left in the water for few seasons and the hull and outboard is badly stained.
Have tried many detergents that don't touch the problem.
Any suggestions please.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can try rubbing compound, I use 3M super duty rubbing compound, you can get this at most auto parts stores - especially ones that mix/supply automotive paints. Use a drill and a buffing pad, cleaning the pad with a screw drive occasionally.

thumpar

Admiral
I use the Star-Brite cleaner. You spray it on and then just wipe it down. There is a generic but it last me so long I just buy the name brand stuff.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what kind of staining. provide pictures.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Plenty of SOS pads (not Brillo- they're metal) do a pretty good job on my boat fenders. Not perfect, though. I've yet to find anything that'll remove all stains from 'rubbery' stuff, that I'm not afraid will damage the material.

My .02

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
You need either fiberglass cleaner,comes in a blue vaseline size jar and is a gel.Dont recall the name but it is 3 letters maybe FSR .That should work but since they are old stains you will need On-Off made by Marykate which is an acid so you probably want to avoid getting it on the pvc/hypalon part of the inflatable.If you are going that route you can also go on the cheap and buy toilet bowl cleaner which is practically the same stuff as On-Off but you can get it in the dollar store for a buck.Charlie

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Use rubbing compound as others said. I like Meguiars Ultra Cut Mirror Glaze compound.

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This seems to be algae based and is rock hard. My rubbing compound is elbow greased based and is not touching the problem.
Was inquiring whether there is an acid that will melt this then I can use the rubbing compound for the finish.

thumpar

Admiral
I think the star-brite uses oxilic acid. I spray it on and wait for a few minutes to rinse it off.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
The "works" toilet bowl cleaner also has oxalic acid in it, I use it every year I just buy a few bottles then put them in my pump sprayer. Same thing spray it on wait and then rinse.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
You need either fiberglass cleaner,comes in a blue vaseline size jar and is a gel.Dont recall the name but it is 3 letters maybe FSR .That should work but since they are old stains you will need On-Off made by Marykate which is an acid so you probably want to avoid getting it on the pvc/hypalon part of the inflatable.If you are going that route you can also go on the cheap and buy toilet bowl cleaner which is practically the same stuff as On-Off but you can get it in the dollar store for a buck.Charlie

Guess you dont read all your replies

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Charlie and I apologize I did miss your post. It was on point and have already bought a couple of different toilet bowl cleaners and is going to be my weekend project. I had been out of town since original post and have been reading posts on dumb phone which can be clumsy at best and only show what it want's to show. Again sorry Charlie, will let you know what happens.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I use 1 part Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner to 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide. Mix it in a garden sprayer wet the surface and spray it on, it will foam a bit and then scrub and rinse. My boat is aluminum and paint. Small sections at a time. I have a slip on a low flow grungy creek on Erie and it gets filthy with green bloom algae and hundreds of Zebra Muscles. It's the only thing that works for me. I have tried every marine and commercial cleaner available, this works best.

t_south91

Seaman
I've used BIO-KLEEN both the fiberglass cleaner and oxidation remover. AMAZING stuff!

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The toilet bowl cleaner worked well, thanks Charlie. I had a container of Sno Bol, still work but is the Lysol or Bio Kleen products more potent, what does the Peroxide do -sounds interesting?
I am careful due to the Hypalon, does it bother the material or the adhesive?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I'm sure the rubbing compound on a high speed buffing machine would have worked great. Rubbing compound+elbow grease=waste of elbow grease on boats that don't get buffed every season.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't know what exactly the Hydrogen Peroxide does, I do know my Dentist had me rinse my mouth with it for an abscessed tooth so it must be safe.