How good is Rinker quality?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking for a 22' to 24' or so bow rider and the wife insists on a head. The latest Boating magazine had a test on the new Rinker QX24 BR and it looks really nice. I'd kind of forgotten about this brand but now I'm looking for used ones in my searches.
I want quality but not fancy-ness. I don't need LEDs in my cupholders (or anywhere else for that matter). I don't care about fancy graphics or chrome. I want a solid boat that will stand up to the use of a family with kids for the next 20 years. I've mostly been looking at Sea Ray SD 220 and 240.
Is Rinker considered a bottom level boat like a Bayliner, Stingray, or Tahoe? I've pretty much eliminated those form my search (I used to have a Bayliner). My previous boat was a Larson and it seemed to serve me well.
Has anyone owned a 2000's Rinker for a long time? How has it held up over the years?
Thanks,

alldodge

Staff member
Bought my Rinker brand new and its still running strong. The main issue I have found is they do not heat shrink the wiring connectors. Boat has never let me down other then one time I let maintenance slide and the impeller went out :facepalm: my fault. It's no Cobalt, Formula, or other high end boat, but I would put it next to a Searay any day

DCMacGuy

Seaman Apprentice
Not exactly sure I would lump Stingray into the same category as Bayliner or Tahoe either...

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not exactly sure I would lump Stingray into the same category as Bayliner or Tahoe either...

Okay, I hadn't looked at them much but seemed to read a lot of people putting them in that camp. I have no interest in high speed. We almost never go much above about 40 MPH. Stingray seems to be built for speed which makes me think they are built away from some other trait. I must assume it to be handling, ride, hole shot, or something else important to me.

thumpar

Admiral
The Rinkers I have seen are pretty nice and would put them in the Sea Ray group unless you are talking higher end which both brands make and are again pretty close. Stingrays are light for speed but loose some quality because of it.

DCMacGuy

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, I hadn't looked at them much but seemed to read a lot of people putting them in that camp. I have no interest in high speed. We almost never go much above about 40 MPH. Stingray seems to be built for speed which makes me think they are built away from some other trait. I must assume it to be handling, ride, hole shot, or something else important to me.

Stingray probably would not be the best match for you then - they like to squeeze speed from the minimum amount of horsepower, but they sacrifice ride in rough water to do so.

I am in the market myself and have briefly looked at Rinker - their website is utterly useless unfortunately, which really kills any bit of pre-purchase research I have been able to do.

aspeck

Staff member
I certainly would not turn my back on a Rinker. My feelings are you can get better quality boats, but you can get worse quality boats also. Since you are looking at used, the important question is how they were maintained while they were owned by someone else. A great quality boat that was "used, abused, and put away dirty" is going to be much more of a liability than a poor quality boat that was meticulously maintained.