Wood under fiberglass.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm inexperienced, and here to learn - and on another thread, I learned that a lot of boats had wood transoms and stringers, and the wood rots over time.
What boats don't have wood stringers/transoms?
I think Boston Whalers have foam cores - are there others with foam or fiberglass cores???
Has the problem been solved in later years by manufacturers still using wood?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Many builders still use fiberglass over wood, its inexpensive, and lasts many years. Chris Craft, Master Craft, Regal and a few others now use engineered cores.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And a foam core isnt a cure all for no wood.

Regardless of what the Boston Whaler ad of a cut in half boat suggests..... Just more foam to water log if its not properly stored.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My 2006 Sanger has wood encased in fibreglass for the stringers, transom, and other structural elements. It also uses the same wood product in other non structural points. This wood will likely last longer than the glass and is engineered to stay sound and non rotting even if it were not encoded in glass and epoxy, and sitting at the bottom of a lake. Many old boats had wood construction that was encased in glass and has had no issues. However, many also had problems and repairing them can be expensive and difficult.
As an engineering product, wood has many excellent attributes but ordinary wood and water don't do well together. It makes my hull perform better but you do have to pay attention if you are buying an old boat. Pay attention, but don't exclude a boat solely because they use wood.

tpenfield

Staff member
Whalers have/had a wood transom.

There are some boats manufacturers who have gone all synthetic . . .

Triton,
Southport

Those come to mind

some have composite stringers, but wood elsewhere. . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
This thread gets me wondering . . .

Is it wood under fiberglass . . .

or . . .

Fiberglass over wood ??? :noidea: :D