Wax or No Wax The Hull ?

mr 88

Commander
I believe waxing the bottom fills in the thousands of microscopic pockets in the gel coat. Those pockets trap air which translates to less resistance in the water. That is why the speed freaks don't wax and as noted it wears off in no time. Wax the boat from the waterline up ,the bottom is a complete waste of time and money.

RGrew176

Commander
When was young and bought my first new boat I didn't know that waxing was bad. I was just curious, though, how much difference i would get.

One beautiful Summer day I took a boat ride on a timed course with a measured amount of fuel. Then I hauled the boat out and waxed the bottom in the parking lot right at the launch ramp. Filled the tank back up and redid the same route. The boat was a 16' fiberglas V-hull with a 60 HP OB. The weather conditions were about as close to the same as you could get. The waxed hull provided higher top speed and improved fuel milage.

I guess I must have done something wrong...

I had similar results the last time I waxed the bottom of the hull on my last boat. It did give a better top end by about 1 1/2 MPH and fuel usage was slightly better. I rack stored so the wax held up longer than a boat in the water all the time. I had a 30' cruiser.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Keeping the hull of my 18 foot bow rider waxed means stains from the river water are easier to wash off. The Sea Ray is bottom painted so the issue is moot there. However, keeping the stainless prop and tabs polished is important for maximum performance! ;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am glad to see a few others make statements about waxing their boats and seeing a difference. I am not saying it makes a row boat into a speed boat, but I am saying I too achieved a higher top end speed by about one to two MPH and an easier handling boat in general. But the effects didn't last but a couple outings. And that was the reason I waxed near weekly. So I know what the "Experts" state. However, I will go by my experiences. And that is waxing my Bass Boat made a difference for me. Maybe because we are not running triple digit speeds, I honestly don't know. My Bass Boat ran in the low to mid 60 MPH range.:noidea:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The how come Profesional racers do not agreen?
Maybe cause they like blue better......LOL.

Could it be that the pro racers go in the triple digits and the rest of us poor people go in the 40's (or 60's)? Could it be that the magnitude of the speed governs the performance of the wax?

I dunno. But I do know that I don't wax the bottom any more regardless. With a set of swinging roller bunks and tandem axles on my TeeNee, I can't get down there where the boat runs anyway. I wax the stem to make her look nice, but that's it for the bottom. I'm too old to crawl down under any more, plus the 1 1/2 mph and minimal fuel savings are not of much value to me any more.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Could it be that the pro racers go in the triple digits and the rest of us poor people go in the 40's (or 60's)? Could it be that the magnitude of the speed governs the performance of the wax?
All racers including sailboat racers which are less than 10 knots.

Even with no wax, they are likely fractions of a percent difference.

drrnjnr

Seaman
No Title

And lastly... How do you guys clean the spots that the boat pysically sits in the trailor. Lol.... I bet they are super dirty because i am never able to clean them. Though theyvare only probably a foot wide by about 3 feet long at the back of the boat. Any thoughts ?

Er, I do this- But I'm fikkly like that, a perfectionist even.........When cleaning I use acid, but watered down and scrub like hell- I don't trust that strong. pure acid, It's very strong indeed- It'll wreck your trailer too,(if not painted). After acid I wax the boat till it's like new, Sometimes I have to compound (Cut?) the small scratches to get the boat nice and shiny again...........

Leaving a glasser in the water is just wrong IMO.......- because osmosis can set in. Now I have Gelshield plus on the hull, hard as nails and guaranteed 100% water resistant, And still I choose not to leave the boat for longer than a week in the water because of dirt and calcium and algie forming.........thats why you have to burn it all of with acid every autumn.

Attachments

• photo253029.jpg
    photo253029.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: