Wax or No Wax The Hull ?

StingRay_90V4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its almsot about that time that i pull our family boat out of the water at our family cottage. Every uear when i pull the boat out i clean the bottom of the hull with hull cleaner. It needs otnfor sure as it is always kwight dirty after being in the lake for 6 months. This year when i pull the boat i am considering changing the lower units oil and after cleabing the hull i was wondering. Does anyone actually ever wax the hull at all ? I have a buffer. Will it help the boat at all next year to resist the build up at all ? And if you do wax the hull. What is type of product are you using to wax with ? By hand or with a buffer ? And lastly... How do you guys clean the spots that the boat pysically sits in the trailor. Lol.... I bet they are super dirty because i am never able to clean them. Though theyvare only probably a foot wide by about 3 feet long at the back of the boat. Any thoughts ?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Takes a lot of waxing to have the wax act to protect the hull from oxidation and/or growth of algae/barnacles etc.

Tests with sailboat have proven waxing slows the boat down.

For boats left in water for extended periods such as your 6 months at a time, you should consider a "bottom paint" which is a relatively soft paint and contains stuff to resist the grown of algae, barnacles etc.
What formulations are available depends on where you are.

The bunk boards themselves tend to rub stuff off of the hull
You can alter the bunk board locations on some trailers allowing you to clean and inspect under where the board was the previous haul-out.
You can also jack and block up the hull and pull the trailer.
What method is best is going to depend on your available facilities and the boat itself.

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I work in a detail shop that does a boat or two a year. We always wax the whole boat. We have what's called a cyclo dual head polisher, works great. And for where it sits on the trailer, we use a board and Jack up the pot one side at a time. Idk how big your boat I s but biggest we can do is about 20 foot.

StingRay_90V4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you ! I had no idea that waxing the hull would actually slow the boat down. But i guess when you think about it. It kind of makes sense. The gel coat i assume is better for gliding threw the water wothoit wax slowing it down. I would have never thought that though. And my trailor does allow us to reposition the running boards. So i will probably do that tgis year and see how that goes.

StingRay_90V4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Our boat is a 92 or 93 16 foot StingRay with a 90 hp v4. She is pretty light i think. Maybe 1200 lbs with me in it.

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Then you should be able to use a board or two to lift it one side at a time. Just be very careful. If your not 100% on your blocks, change it

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I use to wax my Bass Boat all the time. It looked absolutely like showroom condition that day I sold it. And for those areas when it sits on the bunks, I use to jack one side up and wax in those areas as well. I hear folks talk about wax slowing down a boat, but I actually had a different effect. So I have no idea about slowing down a boat. But then most of the bass boat was out of the water when running good. I have pictures where there was only about a foot near the transom area that was touching the water when running fast. :noidea:.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The slowing effect is most pronounced below planing speed and has to do with effects of laminar flow. So, again it matters what boat as to if it matters.

StingRay_90V4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well my boat is a 92 StingRay 501 ZP. It has whats called a Z plane hull. What ever that means. Lol.... The boat at wot is a fair amount out of the water. But probably still half to a quarter of the hull still in the water. She does 41 mph. Would that hull amount or speed be affected negativly by waxing it ?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The wax will remain on the hull for at least most of the first day out on the water.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well my boat is a 92 StingRay 501 ZP. It has whats called a Z plane hull. What ever that means. Lol.... The boat at wot is a fair amount out of the water. But probably still half to a quarter of the hull still in the water. She does 41 mph. Would that hull amount or speed be affected negativly by waxing it ?

I actually have no idea if waxing your hull would effect your speed. When I was running, it was over 60 MPH and more air was flowing over the hull then in the water. And maybe the reduced air turbulence made my difference on a waxed hull, I really don't know. But it was faster for me. I know I will get lambasted for that statement, but it is true, what can I say?

You could run your hand down the hull before waxing and it was smooth but after waxing it was slick. And the wax effect only lasted about two or three outings and I could tell the difference after that. So I some times waxed every week. And I use regular car waxes. Sorry if that doesn't concern with other ideas and theory. But I honestly can't pretend there wasn't a difference for me either. I know and read all about top speed racing hulls and what the studies state. But I also know what my boat did as well. :sorry:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
After using OnOff which is an acid you DEFINETLY need to was or polish that area.If you dont ,it will fould much faster next year and you can actually watch it leach up the sides of the hull.The stains are organic and the acid kills them and leaves the pores of the gelcoat open.You need to close the pores by waxing or polishing.Been there...done that so this is more than opinion.Charlie

StingRay_90V4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Makes sense. I will deffinitly wax it after i am done cleaning it. It seems to be a mild acid almost. I have to wear gloves and a mask. It really is very strong.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
acid yes,mild absolutely not!! If you want to save a bunch of cash you can go to any store and buy the $1 toilet bowl cleaner.I get it in a $ store or Walmart.Works exactly the same and is prectically the same exact stuff.Charlie

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Above the waterline wax will help, below the water line it won't be on there long enough to make a difference, especially if the boat is kept in the water.

StingRay_90V4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tip about the tiolet bowl cleaner. Maybe i will try that this year. Lol.... I think the boat needs a good cleaning and waxing from top to bottom anyways. It is stored inside. So i have all winter to clean it inside and out. Its just a matter of getting the energy.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Waxing definition slows you down. In fact sailboat racers actually wet sand their hulls to remove the gloss to make them faster. Do it if you want but not because it will make you faster.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I actually have no idea if waxing your hull would effect your speed. When I was running, it was over 60 MPH and more air was flowing over the hull then in the water. And maybe the reduced air turbulence made my difference on a waxed hull, I really don't know. But it was faster for me. I know I will get lambasted for that statement, but it is true, what can I say?

You could run your hand down the hull before waxing and it was smooth but after waxing it was slick. And the wax effect only lasted about two or three outings and I could tell the difference after that. So I some times waxed every week. And I use regular car waxes. Sorry if that doesn't concern with other ideas and theory. But I honestly can't pretend there wasn't a difference for me either. I know and read all about top speed racing hulls and what the studies state. But I also know what my boat did as well. :sorry:
When was young and bought my first new boat I didn't know that waxing was bad. I was just curious, though, how much difference i would get.

One beautiful Summer day I took a boat ride on a timed course with a measured amount of fuel. Then I hauled the boat out and waxed the bottom in the parking lot right at the launch ramp. Filled the tank back up and redid the same route. The boat was a 16' fiberglas V-hull with a 60 HP OB. The weather conditions were about as close to the same as you could get. The waxed hull provided higher top speed and improved fuel milage.

I guess I must have done something wrong...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think I have waxed my hull about 2.5 times in the last 3 years .... It's a full lap strake design so really no fun waxing at all ...
It's not real high on the priority list .. :lol: