Fish finder cabling

gsaps

Cadet
I'm installing a fishfinder/depthfinder which is transom mounted.
I'm hoping to chase the cabling through with the other cables from the engine compartment

From here

To here at the helm

Are there any tricks to making this easier as it looks pretty tight

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Fish tape can be purchased in the electrical dept of any home store. You'll need to open the boot and then run the fish tape from the helm to the stern. Attach the cable and pull it back. DO NOT pull only on the cable connector. Tape the connector and cable securely to the fish tape. Taper the area in front of the plug so the plug itself doesn't snag during the pull. You might also coat the cable with a pulling gel (also available in the electrical dept) to help the cable slide in what appears to be a pretty full chase.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
None really, have to pass it stern forward and get the connector to display. Hopefully only one time, I installed and pulled a Humminbird transducer four times before they got me one that worked. I opened up the rubber grommet on the dash to make it easier. Pull wires to get through tight places and lots of wire ties so it was separate yet routed with the rest of the bundle. Some places are just not fun. Fancier the boat the more bulkheads to get through.

Good luck!

Rick

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Great info Silvertip suggested. You could also try a large piece of cotton ball with a string attached to it and use a vacuum to suck the cotton ball through and then tight off the string to the cable and pull it through. Lots of ways to run cables. But the tubing you are trying to get it through has to be wide enough for the new cable. JMHO

gsaps

Cadet
Great advice guys and thanks for the quick replies.. off to the shops... again

gsaps

Cadet
I had another look at where the wires go in, there's a rubber boot around the cables crimping them together, I removed it and had a feel around inside the cavity, it seems to just be a void as in no 'tube' to run the wires through, my concern would be if i pushed any fish wire in through the hole it'd just get lost in the cavity and be impossible to get it to the other opening as it doesn't have a tube to run through, would this happen ?

Thanks again

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had another look at where the wires go in, there's a rubber boot around the cables crimping them together, I removed it and had a feel around inside the cavity, it seems to just be a void as in no 'tube' to run the wires through, my concern would be if i pushed any fish wire in through the hole it'd just get lost in the cavity and be impossible to get it to the other opening as it doesn't have a tube to run through, would this happen ?

Thanks again

Okay, wait a second, you still can run your cable with the rest of the wires. Remove one wire that is going to the helm area or where ever you want the new cable to go, and tie a string onto it. Now pull that wire back to the boot area. Then attach your new cable to the wire and string and pull it back to the front. Bingo, new wire run with the rest of them. JMHO

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Okay, wait a second, you still can run your cable with the rest of the wires. Remove one wire that is going to the helm area or where ever you want the new cable to go, and tie a string onto it. Now pull that wire back to the boot area. Then attach your new cable to the wire and string and pull it back to the front. Bingo, new wire run with the rest of them. JMHO

Yes , what gm said .

And also run a couple extra wires or rope so you can easily do it again if needed

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I'd be tempted to attempt sliding a fish through that doesn't have a hook on the end. I have one wire fish that is a fairly heavy nylon, almost like heavy line trimmer line. It has a metal crimp on end with a 3/16 ball that can take a number of attachments. I mostly never used the attachments but just tape the wire I want to pull to the pull cable. You won't believe the places we have gotten it to go to. I used to build trailer a lot and a wire pull that does not have a hook on the end can be wriggled through almost anywhere without getting hung in existing wiring. I usually work alone, and sometimes you have to do a PT session jumping up and down and back and forth to work both ends, but you will get it. It can be done. If I have to make a turn that requires a bend in the pull then I would use a metal pull and not the nylon one. Other than that, patience and either a helper or a desire for a cardio workout will get it done.

REDRIG nails it, leave an extra pull cord in.

gsaps

Cadet
Id thought about the option of detaching an existing cable but they're all pretty tightly bundled and cable tied together
In the end I bought 3 threaded rods and coupling nuts, passed one bar in, attached another and so on with a fishing line taped to the front.
The good lady was happy to get under the dash and poke her finger through the hole and it actually worked.
I tied the fishing line off on the steering wheel to get the cabling ready to pull through and when I went to pull it through, my knot had come undone and the line had disappeared into the hull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily no children were within earshot or they would have got an education in the use of four letter words

Hopefully be able to try again today