Trim tabs?

harleyman1975

Ensign
I have read a lot about tabs. I have a smaller boat (2003 20' Regal BR) It performs really well but due to the layout of the seating it leans to the port side when on plane. If just 2 people in boat it is fine but with more folks on board (the seating runs down the port side and across the back with a seat factory deleted from starboard rear corner to allow for a walk through to swim deck). Will smart tabs correct this or do I need power tabs. I have a 305 mercruiser with a 19 p 4 blade prop. Behaved the same way with the 3 blade 21 just took longer to plane out and was about 200 rpm lower at wot. 4400 with 3 blade 21 4600 with 4 blade 19 with 4 people and 3/4 tank fuel. I know power tabs will correct this but will smart tabs? I don't want to drill holes in my boat twice.

dizzy1

Seaman
It will fix it. I have a 07 Reinell 200 LSE (pretty much same boat you have) that is just like yours with the L couch on the port side. When a few people are onboard, it would always lean slight to that side. I have 3 batteries so I located 2 under the walk thru to try to balance the weight, still didn't help. I put smart tabs on last year for wakeboard/tubing reasons and adjusted one side softer than the other. Now with people and moving, the boat is completely level. Took some adjustments on the tabs to get the balance right but I'm sold on how much it helped the balance.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have SmartTabs and I really like them, but unless my boat was ALWAYS listing to one side, I'd get helm-adjustable tabs. I'd want to be able to correct for the list to the degree the boat was weighted unevenly (e.g., more correction when you have more guests, less correction when there are fewer).

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Mischief Managed might very well be right but I'm curious as to why?
Because if you adjust them for a port side load, they will make the boat list to starboard when that load is not present. Helm adjustable tabs are the perfect solution.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
once you go helm adjustable tabs such as Bennetts you will NEVER go back to a fixed tab.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Tabman should be along to help. Bennett tabs. I have ajustabe but they are more dollars. I have never experienced smart tabs.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
We make both helm adjustable and self adjusting Tabs. The remotely adjustable ones are far superior when it comes to correcting side to side trim due to changing weight distribution. No comparison really.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I went with the M-120 Bennets on my searay. only a little more than the fixed tabs, however when I would go out, I may have one extra person, or 3-4 gravity enhanced people on board and they would move around the boat, causing listing in all directions. Also, when rough weather comes up, you want to be able to adjust your tabs.

Current boat has Bennets as well. I adjust the trim all the time

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Hydraulics trim tabs primary use is adjusting list and bow attitude. Smart Tabs are a planing device that help unpowered and/or poorly designed boats get on plane easier.

I use my hydraulic tabs all the time on my SeaRay. And 99% is for adjusting list. Go with the hydraulics.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Hydraulics trim tabs primary use is adjusting list and bow attitude. Smart Tabs are a planing device that help unpowered and/or poorly designed boats get on plane easier.

I use my hydraulic tabs all the time on my SeaRay. And 99% is for adjusting list. Go with the hydraulics.

Or Electric Trim Tabs, they are a bit easier to install. Both Bennett Hydraulic and Electric Trim Tabs have a lifetime warranty on the actuators. While I prefer hydraulic Tabs for boats kept in the water, the warranty on both type's actuators is still lifetime regardless of if it is kept in the water or not.

Tom
Bennett Marine

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
My hydraulic trim tabs have auto adjust - just set it and forget it!
They're Bennett tabs, btw...

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
After having two boats without them, and one with them, my opinion is that helm-adjustable trim tabs should be standard equipment on any planing hull boat. They make a massive difference and I absolutely adore my Bennett tabs.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Not to mention arguably the best customer service I've ever encountered with Bennett

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I thought about adding those. Really worth it?

The auto adjust is great for people like me that can't stop adjusting everything. I'd say an even better add on would be Bennett's trimdicators. They show you exactly where each tab is set.