Hewes Craft internal tank issue

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
Aluminum Hewes Craft Sportsman 101 w/internal tank. Water getting in tank somehow. Have water fuel separator to protect engine. Before I try to remove water, I need to figure out how water is entering. Need some help with this. Not very familar with servicing internal tanks. Any advice is really appreciated.

Couldn't locate posts for servicing Hewes Craft...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
this is sort of generic advice, water can only come in several ways, in the fuel, or at the filler neck or the tank vent, i would start by inspecting that

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That fuel tank have a fuel gauge? If so, water can seep in around the fuel sender gasket. It can also splash into the tank thru the vent. Also, check the oring on the fuel filler.

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you Chris. It does have a fuel gauge. Will check sender gasket, O ring and vent and post results next week.

Snoopy11

Seaman Apprentice
I incorrectly stated my boat model. Its a Spokesman 180 not a 101. It has an internal tank-- some type of heavy duty plastic.

Opened inspection port for fuel sender and sure enough you can see a damaged sender gasket. We fabricated another gasket and it seems to resolve the water in fuel tank issues.

Thanks all for your advice.