Bilage Pump?

Davis13

Cadet
I have a 1972 Glastron V156. I was wondering if it has or had a bilage pump. I can't find information about it. If it does I sure as heck can't get to it!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
that was my first boat... great little boat for calm water areas... cant remember ever seeing one... is there a discharge port? if not I would suggest the answer is no.. would make no sense whatsoever to enclose it completely

Davis13

Cadet
I think it has a discharge port. There's a small white piece coming out the back of the boat. How would I even get to it without cutting out the floor? Or install one! It doesn't appear to have that much room. The floor sits straight in the stringers.

Davis13

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo252848.jpg
    photo252848.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252849.jpg
    photo252849.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
classic lines.. those trihulls skip across the water nicely.. great flat water or river boat... cant believe there is a bilge totally enclosed you cant get to.... I never saw one on mine...

Davis13

Cadet
Every bilage I've seen you've been able to reach! Might be tight, but you could get to it! I'm new to boating. I was told all fiberglass boats have a bilage pump. Since I didn't see anywhere to get to one I figured I'd aske on the forum! I don't know what that white spout is on the back. It appears to sit under the water anyway. I didn't think bilage spouts/ports were under the water line. I just don't want to sink it lol!

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
What you see is the speedo pick up tube but it should be pointing down, you can push it down as it may have hit something.

Davis13

Cadet
I'm so grateful for all of this information!!!! I am a little surprised the boat doesn't have a bilage pump. I'll run it without one for now I guess lol. The hull is in great shape! I'll just have to keep a close eye on it! Hopefully I'd notice it taking on water!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
as long at previous owners cared for it and wasnt left out in a farmers field to get poured on and snowed on, hence tossing a ton of water on the deck and into the foam,, your good.....

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Carry a bilge pump and put alligator clips on it for easy power connection. If needed just run the hose over the side of the boat. Can you post a pic of the bilge area under the splash well? I'm thinking the floor has been replaced and they just didn't cut away that area. I bought a boat like that, I just took a cut off wheel and cut a section out so I could install a pump.

mr 88

Commander
If you don't have a switch on the dashboard or any wires that go under the deck then you don't have a bilge pump. Many boats of that era had a small 6"x6" or so recessed area notched into the sub deck dead center next to the transom. There is not enough room there in most cases for a bilge pump and these boats were used more as a day cruiser that were trailered back and forth. Owner would just pull drain plug at ramp and that was sufficient.

Davis13

Cadet
There are no switches period other than a kill switch! I pulled the carpet and seating up! It was gone!!!!! No soft spots really to speak of. Only one small one. I'll have to pull the cap to do stringers and flooring. I can find seats so I'm going to build some! I'm not going back to carpet either! I'm doing a roll on floor!

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Fiberglass construction has nothing to do with whether or not a boat has a bilge pump. That's more an inboard vs outboard thing. Your tri-hull doesn't have a bilge pump which is why you can't find it. Notice there is no switch on the dash to turn it on. My advice is to put one in and don't bother with anything that doesn't have an automatic float switch.

Davis13

Cadet
Where would I put it? The floor sits right on the stringers! From what I can tell there isn't room for one. Maybe up front?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Where would I put it? The floor sits right on the stringers! From what I can tell there isn't room for one. Maybe up front?

NO putting one up front would not be the answer. If you don't have an outlet high above the water line, then they is no bilge pump. No bilge pump outputs under water. However, I would most certainly install one for the rare occasion that it rains when you're out or you get splash over when someone runs pass you too close. They don't cost very much and can make for a worry free outing. Even if it sits on the floor, install one back at the transom area because your boat probably sits a little lower in the back then the front. And let the outlet go over the transom if you don't want to drill any holes in the transom. But install one anyways. JMHO

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You add a bilge (not bilage) pump by creating a "lowest" spot in the boat. ( Think sump pump pit for a house.) If you have to cut a hole, it must be just ahead of the transom because that's the lowest spot and where water will collect. You cut the hole in the center, and big enough to fit the pump and attach the outlet hose. Of course you need to make sure there isn't a center transom support or other structure in that area. Route the outlet hose to a fitting installed as high on the side of the boat as possible and via the shortest route.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Even if it sits on the floor, install one back at the transom area because your boat probably sits a little lower in the back then the front.

That's what I would do.

Davis13

Cadet
This is by far the best forum I've ever been apart of!!!! I'm so thankful for all of this wonderful information!!!!! I'm completely blown away! This boat has a special meaning, and will serve many!