Carpet on boat

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,

I have a 2004 Maxum 1800sr3. When I got the boat last year, I was given the carpet for the interior as well. Carpet is brand new and doesn't appear it was ever put in. The snaps and such are all on it and on the hull and ready to be put on. Where I store it on the trailer in my driveway is under trees and I get leaves and pine needles everywhere, so I left it out so it would be easier to clean and hose off as needed. Next season I am going to have it at a slip in the bay, and presumably not under trees. Is there any downside to putting the carpet in next season? I have covers that are on the boat when I am not using, but obviously rain water still gets in. I don't mind not having it in there, just think it looks sharp with it and figure I have em, mine as well use it, but if it's going to be a major pain I will not bother.

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used to unsnap the carpet only to clean it.

put a cover on the boat, leaving a boat exposed to trees, etc. that stuff is not conducive to boat longevity.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
I used to unsnap the carpet only to clean it.

put a cover on the boat, leaving a boat exposed to trees, etc. that stuff is not conducive to boat longevity.

I have covers on it now, but inevitably the debris gets in a little when I go to take them off. Nothing crazy, but with pine needles I would be picking them out forever.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
My boat came with snap-in carpet. I took it out initially to clean everything. I have never put it back in. To me the downside of having it in is that it adds another thing to keep nice, and that it takes more time to clean everything - and less boating. My boat is in a slip, always covered when not in use, not under any trees

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The answer to your question is that the carpet under cover will retain rain water for much longer. Heat generated by the sun shining on the cover will turn that water into steam and you will have mildew on absolutely everything from the underside of the cover to the upholstery and the carpet.
I'd snap it in when using the boat, then roll it up and take it home after each use. That's why they used snaps and not screws to hold it down. ;)

oldjeep

Admiral
I'd start with a cover that isn't letting rain in to the boat and then go from there. Your 2004 Maxxum is wood construction, correct?

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
There are 2 covers...one that goes over the front bow of the boat and the other covers from the windshield back. Rain seems to get in though. I'm assuming from where the 2 covers meet at the windshield, and maybe on the front a little. I thought about getting a big one that covers the whole boat. And yes, wood construction.

jkust

Rear Admiral
On my previous boat with the factory snap on covers, there was a pretty obvious flaw in how the bow cover snapped down and in a very heavy storm let water into the boat. Really a bad design on Chaparral's part. As hokey as it sounded, the few times I couldn't avoid the boat not being indoors, I would actually take a bit of painters tape and correct the problem for the night. The water was able to get under the center window below where the cockpit cover and the bow cover would meet. I then had all of the covers remade with the logical correction and it wasn't an issue. As for the carpet, I agree it does look sharp I suppose but I don't use it at all and it just sits in storage. I tried using it for a season on my previous boat and it just caught a lot of junk. I keep a small hand broom and dustpan onboard for clean up of dirt and sand and then don't have to deal with removing the larger carpet pieces and akwardly shaking them. The only two pieces I keep snapped are the pieces that go over the foot rests under both the helm and the port captains chairs. The correction by the way with the new covers I had manufactured was to add velcro to the two covers at the spot you describe where the meet.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Could I just get a cover that covers the whole hull front to back instead? Instead of having custom covers made? I know they make those universal ones.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
For now, I have the front trailer wheel up on a block, so the water runs out the back, but next year in the water that obviously won't work.

jkust

Rear Admiral
With covers, it just depends on where you use the cover as to which cover will work. Technically the snap on covers are for mooring because you don't have a trailer to tie the storage cover down to. I would travel with my snap down cover and short term store the boat on the trailer when we would take vacations for the time it wasn't in the water even though it very specifically said not to tow over 35mph. If you intend to use the one piece storage cover or even a one piece travel cover, you will just need a convenient way to make sure it stays on the boat wherever it is sitting. If it just sits in your driveway then, a one piece would be just fine. Keep in mind a storage cover and a travel cover may look similar but the storage cover won't do for traveling. The reality is a storage cover will cover a lot more of the boat than the snap on covers anyway. My current boat came with a storage cover that covers the boat way down the sides of the boat and the 3 foot swim platform versus the snap on covers that it came with that cover the bare minimum to keep water out of the boat.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hmmm, so do you think I would have better luck with the snap on covers next year when it's moored? I'm going to be replacing the snaps at the windshield which is where I think a lot of water is getting in. I won't have it on a trailer to tie the storage cover down to.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
yes, definitely get snap covers if the boat will be sitting in the water. My experience with the tie down covers is they are impossible to put on while I'm the water. Also snap cover fit much tighter and reduce water pooling. Maybe you just need to waterproof spray your covers?

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
yes, definitely get snap covers if the boat will be sitting in the water. My experience with the tie down covers is they are impossible to put on while I'm the water. Also snap cover fit much tighter and reduce water pooling. Maybe you just need to waterproof spray your covers?

I did the water proofing beginning of the year. My cover does sink in 2 spots (1 in the stern the other at the bow) and a big puddle occurs. I am going to see if I can move the snaps down on the hull a bit and see if I can tighten it up a bit more.

oldjeep

Admiral

Depends on the cover. Mine has a strap that hooks to the bow eye to keep it in place while you walk the rest of the cover back and then the ratchet is in the back of the cover. Must easier and faster than doing 50 snaps

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Depends on the cover. Mine has a strap that hooks to the bow eye to keep it in place while you walk the rest of the cover back and then the ratchet is in the back of the cover. Must easier and faster than doing 50 snaps
I am talking about the ones with straps that go under the boat. Those are a mess when in the water. The one you are describing is great. I forgot about the ratchet type. I have one for my little boat. Completely forgot LOL

jkust

Rear Admiral
I did the water proofing beginning of the year. My cover does sink in 2 spots (1 in the stern the other at the bow) and a big puddle occurs. I am going to see if I can move the snaps down on the hull a bit and see if I can tighten it up a bit more.

Ok so obvious question, are you using a pole that tents the bow cover and a pole that tents the cockpit cover portion? With the poles in place, it is difficult for water to puddle. I will say, now that you mention it, for my previous boat, using the pole in the bow section tented so water couldn't collect but it exacerbated the amount of water that would run into the boat under the bow window due to the poor design.