Determining dead rise for a boat

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't have a specification manual for my 1995 StarCraft Superfisherman 190. The only specs I have found for it are here on iboats.com, that's actually how I found this site originally. I read about dead rise going from say "X" at the bow and going down to "Y" at the stern. How would one determine or measure dead rise on any given vessel? Thanks ahead of time.

tpenfield

Staff member
Usually measured at the stern since there is so much variation in transitioning from the bow section to the running surface further aft among different brands/models of boats.

Some boat companies talk about the dead rise angle towards the bow, but since all of them don't it is hard to compare

Last edited:

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I used a phone app. I layed my phone level on the transom and the app read zero degrees. Then I turned it to match the V of the hull and it said 19 on my boat so that told me my method was pretty accurate. Do you have a smartphone?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Up here in Canada dead rise is measured at the transom, in fact if you have more than 20" of dead rise you need a boarding ladder. A few people have been fined for not having a ladder an less than 20" of dead rise - all of those tickets were cancelled by the courts.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Up here in Canada dead rise is measured at the transom, in fact if you have more than 20" of dead rise you need a boarding ladder. A few people have been fined for not having a ladder an less than 20" of dead rise - all of those tickets were cancelled by the courts.

You might be thinking freeboard, not deadrise. Freeboard is easy to measure though! :rolleyes:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...-515-4377.html

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There seems to be a few different deadrise measurements to consider.

WC-Deadrise-Defined-Side-WEB.png

yqrV3Fv.gif

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good chart from Waterman. Ignore the lifting strakes when you measure the deadrise. Most often it's measured at the transom. Some with flat bottoms measure it at the bow to make you think they can handle rough water, but it's not the same.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Great chart, same as roofing pitch basically. Would you have a dead rise number at the transom and a number at the bow? Someone that wants to buy my boat asked me what the dead rise was, I had no clue. Thanks again.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I used a phone app. I layed my phone level on the transom and the app read zero degrees. Then I turned it to match the V of the hull and it said 19 on my boat so that told me my method was pretty accurate. Do you have a smartphone?

Hi there, what smart phone app is that ?

thanks!

southkogs

Staff member
I've got one called "Handyman" for iOS. Clever little app for checking things out quickly.