Searching for a new ride

t_south91

Seaman
Guys,

I am in the process of searching for the next boat.

I know that I am interested in a cobalt and would like to have something in between 22' - 25' with a big block.

For the most part, we spend our time on the water hanging out in the cove, so being on the back end of the boat is huge for us. We like the back sunpad. We do slalom, tube and do other watersports but only if the water is smooth. I want something that is going to ride well and not get beat up by the big chop on my lake. Typically we have a minimum of 4 people plus a 75lb dog so space is important. The last boat definitely felt crowded if you had more than the typical group.

I like the idea of a 1999 - 2001 Cobalt 232, or even a 2004-2006 Cobalt 220. Both with big blocks of course (I have the need for speed). Looking for the top speed to be in high 50's to mid 60's. And I know the 220 can do that, not sure on the 232.

Has anyone had experience with either boat? If I went with the 232, I would be adding a swim platform. Can't believe they didn't put one on that model 232.

Anyways, I am open to all suggestions of models, brands, etc!

Thanks in advance!

jkust

Rear Admiral
If you are interested in hanging around in the social swim platform type setting, I like the newer boats that have a seating system whereby the sunpad converts into twin loungers. The swim platform is a must for sure. Pretty much every boat manufacturer in that size has enhanced their rear sun pad situation to a much more friendly area to hang out. Not a fan at all of the older Cobalts as their interiors were behind the times in that 99-01 era as compared to other premium competitors. They were still using analog hour gauges which is to me unfitting of the brand among other things they were catching up on.
I am a speed guy as well but get it from my supercharged waverunner and am fine with my boat's 54mph loaded (all day 54 not with the wind 54 and faster when alone) with 4 of us with a 17 inch prop with a 350Mag MPI engine with my Chaparral 220 which is 24 feet. It will do close to 60 with a faster prop on it but we rarely are going WOT for too long anyway and find more value in the quick out of the hole versus top speed. It is hard to beat a big block's sound of the captains call though.

t_south91

Seaman
jkust,

Thanks for the input!

I have briefly looked at Chaparral and that would certainly be my next choice over any other brand.

I do tend to agree with you on the 99-01 era, the only reason I entertain those over the other options is because of the cobalt quality. The tend to hold up really well. But for the price I would pay on that model, my dollars would go further on a Chaparral which would be nice.

Is your Chaparral holding up well being an '02? How's the ride in rough water? (I know the term "rough" is relative to everyone so whatever rough may be to you haha)

NHGuy

Captain
I hope you like getting air. If you slalom behind a Cobalt there will be lots of chances. They are deep keeled.
I think they are one of the best boats out there. If you want the ride get a big boat, if you want to really ski get a smaller one. A 25 footer or bigger won't accelerate well enough to ski in my opinion.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
The 220 is going to be newer, faster, and still should fit 4 people and a dog easily. For me on most boats the ideal amount of people to go with and still be comfortable is half of the max capacity. In my case that's 4 people in my 19 foot maxum.

jkust

Rear Admiral
jkust,

Thanks for the input!

I have briefly looked at Chaparral and that would certainly be my next choice over any other brand.

I do tend to agree with you on the 99-01 era, the only reason I entertain those over the other options is because of the cobalt quality. The tend to hold up really well. But for the price I would pay on that model, my dollars would go further on a Chaparral which would be nice.

Is your Chaparral holding up well being an '02? How's the ride in rough water? (I know the term "rough" is relative to everyone so whatever rough may be to you haha)

The thing about the Cobalt and the Chaps is that they cost a lot and the owners tend to take care of them as they aren't first boats for most and the learning and mistakes were already done on their previous boats. Add to that that they use quality vinyl and accessories and fast forward to today and the interior of mine looks like it's been in a time capsule. There isn't a single hint of wear on the interior anywhere which was the same as my previous but newer Chap that I sold to buy the 220. It has right around 350 hours so it's not been used a ton yet either. The 220 needs a buff and wax because the guy I bought it from trailered it to only one particular lake so it's got maybe two gel scratches from docking it that need some minor attention. I bought it at the beginning of this year and it went right into the water where it lives full time on my lift so just haven't dealt with the exterior as of yet. The ride is actually very good in the rough stuff as we are on a large lake. It is why I sold my previous Chap which was only 18 feet....It was fine ride wise but on the heavy wind days it wasn't nearly as pleasant as the 220 and of course it had a 4.3 which was too small for the 3000lb dry weight when loaded. If I had my druthers I would go a couple feet bigger actually but my boatlift is maxed at the 5000lbs and the 24 foot canopy and of course I'm having a storage dilemma as well since my garage door is too short to fit the 220. I am in MN so need indoor storage.

NHskier

Cadet
We owned a '98 Cobalt 232 with 7.4L engine for seven years, purchased used in 2006. It was our first boat and we had great luck with it, needing nothing more than regular maintenance. We commonly were out with a total of four of us plus our dog - very comfortable. We boat on a large lake that can get chopped up pretty good, and it handled things OK. Sold it to move up in size (another Cobalt) and our '98 is still on the lake running well. Definitely a quality boat.

NHskier

t_south91

Seaman
We owned a '98 Cobalt 232 with 7.4L engine for seven years, purchased used in 2006. It was our first boat and we had great luck with it, needing nothing more than regular maintenance. We commonly were out with a total of four of us plus our dog - very comfortable. We boat on a large lake that can get chopped up pretty good, and it handled things OK. Sold it to move up in size (another Cobalt) and our '98 is still on the lake running well. Definitely a quality boat.

NHskier

That's awesome! I test drove one this weekend. It was a '99, with 434 hours. Had the 7.4MPI (310hp) BIII. Seemed to run pretty well! Needed some love on the gel coat and seats, but nothing a little elbow grease coudn't fix.

About how fast could you get yours to run? Did you feel that the 7.4 MPI was enough or did you want the 454 MAG? This guy is pretty firm on 21k, which I don't think its worth that much. Thoughts?

jkust

Rear Admiral
That's awesome! I test drove one this weekend. It was a '99, with 434 hours. Had the 7.4MPI (310hp) BIII. Seemed to run pretty well! Needed some love on the gel coat and seats, but nothing a little elbow grease coudn't fix.

About how fast could you get yours to run? Did you feel that the 7.4 MPI was enough or did you want the 454 MAG? This guy is pretty firm on 21k, which I don't think its worth that much. Thoughts?
Are you shopping in the southern states somewhere? Sun damaged seats require reupholstering. I almost never, ever see a nice boat with sun damaged seats way up here in MN. No way on Cobal or Chap that cost what that 99 would have. I would expect near perfection with a 99 Cobalt as is generally what I see out on my lake. In other words I am suggesting no way to something that requires upholstery work. 21k better be immaculate.

t_south91

Seaman
Are you shopping in the southern states somewhere? Sun damaged seats require reupholstering. I almost never, ever see a nice boat with sun damaged seats way up here in MN. No way on Cobal or Chap that cost what that 99 would have. I would expect near perfection with a 99 Cobalt as is generally what I see out on my lake. In other words I am suggesting no way to something that requires upholstery work. 21k better be immaculate.

Yes, down in Arkansas. When I mentioned the upholstery, I meant it just needed some scrubbing/cleaning. Doesn't have any cracks/tears.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Yes, down in Arkansas. When I mentioned the upholstery, I meant it just needed some scrubbing/cleaning. Doesn't have any cracks/tears.
Fair enough...still for top dollar at the end of peak season, I would expect the owner to give a full detail. I've noticed in general that the bigger boats seem to have more dock rash/Gel coat marks than the smaller boats. Was surprised how many immaculate, interior larger bowriders had gel issues when shopping earlier this year.

t_south91

Seaman
Fair enough...still for top dollar at the end of peak season, I would expect the owner to give a full detail. I've noticed in general that the bigger boats seem to have more dock rash/Gel coat marks than the smaller boats. Was surprised how many immaculate, interior larger bowriders had gel issues when shopping earlier this year.

I agree with that!

NHskier

Cadet

Sorry for not replying sooner - have not had a chance to get back in here. I see you have since bought the 232 - I think you'll find it to be a great boat. I never found any need for more horsepower whatsoever. Even with 4-6 people 45mph was pretty easy in good water.

NHskier

t_south91

Seaman
Sorry for not replying sooner - have not had a chance to get back in here. I see you have since bought the 232 - I think you'll find it to be a great boat. I never found any need for more horsepower whatsoever. Even with 4-6 people 45mph was pretty easy in good water.

NHskier

No problem! We have had it up to 57 with 4 people and 1/4 tank...GPS. It's pretty stout.

Love the ride, handling, etc. No disappointments, thats for sure.