Portable Vacuum Cleaner Recommendations - for the boat

tpenfield

Staff member
I have been thinking of getting a new vacuum cleaner for the boat. The carpet in the cabin seems to collect all kinds of dirt and debris. I have a wimpy no-name 12v plug-in vac that is not up to the task. Looking for something that would be good for carpet as well as hard surfaces and even nooks and crannies. (assuming the proper attachments)

Any vacs (either the re-chargeable or the 12v variety) that folks here have found to work well ? :noidea:

I know that Dyson has some handhelds, but they seem really pricey . . . of course on the other hand, I don't want to spend $50 and have something that doesn't work well.

T. I. A.

oldjeep

Admiral
12v vacs are terrible. Put an invertor in the boat and get something like a dirt devil portable.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Tried the portables, no good. I got tired of lugging/horsing around my bigger Shop-Vac.

My kids noticed and got me a little one (1/2 HP I think) I love it. Can also use it as a blower for those times when I just need to blow out the cockpit area. Great for the cars too. If you're interested, I can verify what it is/post a pic.

The Admiral doesn't mind using it to touch things up in the cabin while I get the boat ready to head out. Love it!

Last edited:

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
If you want battery operated, and are a Dewalt guy, get this:
http://www.dewalt.com/products/power...-vacuum/dcv580

It doesn't come with batteries so could get expensive if you don't have any, but I already had tons on batteries. Found it on eBay. I paid $60. It works awesome. Has great suction and even is ok with water. If the carpet is wet it sucks the water out of it! Usually takes me 1-1.5 batteries to get my cockpit done thoroughly. It comes with a nice floor attachment and a narrow piece. Has a decent size hose and also can be a blower. Best part is the filter is waterproof so I don't need to do anything before moving to wet areas. Works much better than any 12v I have ever used.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about this SUCKER if you have an inverter, Ted?

Small enough to tuck away and has a 1 year warranty. 30 bucks at Home Depot.

tpenfield

Staff member
No inverter and I don't have shore power available most times, so I have to rely on 12v or something that I can charge at home and bring with me for the day.

garbageguy - I'd be interested in what you have. PM me if you like.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
How about this SUCKER if you have an inverter, Ted?

Small enough to tuck away and has a 1 year warranty. 30 bucks at Home Depot.

I have that as well. I like my portable Dewalt one much more. But that's besides the fact you would need an inverter.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, without 120 volts, have to say Dyson. about $150 on amazon. the Dyson is also used on many larger boats. they are over-priced, finicky, however work. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...yson+hand+held

the ryobi has poor reviews from both the interweb and people I know. they last about 6 months

I can not offer any feedback on the DeWalt, however I know that the teak installers from TDS have one

there is a small shop vac brand micro wet/dry that works well, however is 120 volts. https://www.shopvac.com/wet-dry-vacs...cSKU=202-10-00

If it was me, I would spring for a 2000 watt inverter and run a corded wet dry shop vac.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you have any good brand cordless tools like dewalt,ridgid or Milwaukee they all make one. They would be a bit pricy if don't already have a battery and charger. I have a 18v ridgid wet/dry vac that works great, I get about 20mins of use with a full charge.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the Dewalt portable one listed above and like it a lot. I'd buy it again if I needed to.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have the Dewalt also, it works good, as a marine tech, I use it on customers boats quite a bit when I finish the job and clean up. Mine has the 18 volt battery, and can be plugged in to shore power if needed also.

tpenfield

Staff member
Forgot to update everyone,

The Admiral got me the Dyson Car & Boat vacuum for Christmas. :D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of vacuums have AC or DC motors with brushes. Brushes on a motor send off sparks, which can ignite gasoline fumes. Vacuuming below decks can suck the fumes into the vacuum. Obviously this can cause loss of life due to an explosion. It probably makes sense to see if the vacuum is suitable for marine use.

tpenfield

Staff member
A lot of vacuums have AC or DC motors with brushes. Brushes on a motor send off sparks, which can ignite gasoline fumes. Vacuuming below decks can suck the fumes into the vacuum. Obviously this can cause loss of life due to an explosion. It probably makes sense to see if the vacuum is suitable for marine use.

Interesting point . . . the vacuum is not recommended for use in areas where fuel vapors are present. Keep in mind that on a boat, the SAE J1171 standard primarily applies to electric devices that operate in the engine bay. Outside of the engine bay, you don't generally find J1171 compliant electrical components.

However, if you smell fumes on a boat . . . or even a car . . . probably not a good idea to be vacuuming or running any sort of electrical appliance/tool.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Best plug in handheld I currently have is a Shark with beaterbrush and relocatable hose.Extremely powerful and reasonably priced.Best cordless is a Dyson.Just got one and can't believe the power.Charlie

tpenfield

Staff member
Just a quick update. I have used the Dyson a couple of times and it is a :thumb:

Good power and I can do the whole boat on a single battery charge.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I have the Dyson. We have the portable and a pet hair model. Best vacuums I've ever owned. Buy once, cry once imo.