Trim Tab Location Help

SJBrit

Cadet
I just bought a 23' CC which is in dire need of trim tabs so I'm about to install some. I have a small issue though:

I know the red line in the attached photo is the recommended location, but if I install there then the actuator will foul the ladder platform. I can move the ladder up, but prefer not to add too many new perforations to my transom! Besides, having the ladder platform higher will be a little odd, but not unbearable.

Will I have a noticeable problem if I install where the blue line is? I can see that this boat used to have tabs actually, and the blue line is where they were installed previously.

What do you think? Suck it up, move the ladder and choose the red spot? Or compromise on the blue spot since that'll be good enough?

Thanks for any and all advice! ~Adrian.

Attachments

• photo251596.jpg
    photo251596.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
IMO, red works best but blue will also work. The issue will be that more angle will be needed to level the boat in the blue area. The more angle in the blue area will also increase drag, but so will anything applying force.

Maybe get some real insight form Tabman

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I think it kinda depends on why you need the tabs. The red line location would be preferable if you're trying to correct a side list. If you're trying to get up on plane sooner, I think the blue line will be just as effective as the red line location. Once you're up on plane, the outer steps may not be very deep in the water anyway, depending on how great your horsepower (and speed) is. - Grandad

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
I already answered the question on another forum, the red line is the preferred location. Bennett has a new 12" x 12" BOLT electric Trim Tab that may fit under the platform. Part number BOLT1212ED

1212ed

But Adrian had already purchased Lencos so he will need to modify the swim platform (not a hard job at all).

Tom
Bennett Marine