Tracking issue

Intruder 4.3

Cadet
I own a 2004 Intruder 20' I/O with 4.3 MPI motor. I have problems with this boat tracking both while under idle/low speeds on main motor and while on anchor. While on main motor this boat will veer up to 50 degrees both port and starboard directions off course. Likewise while on anchor in it also tracks very poorly with the aft end of the boat swinging side to side extreme distances.

I am not sure what the cause is but I suspect the weight of the inboard in the aft has something to do with it.

Looking for suggestions how I may be able to correct or improve this issue?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... At low speeds, that's called V-hull wander,....

Less operator input is the best cure,.... it'll come back on it's own,...

Do ya trim up at anchor, or leave the drive down,..??

If down is it straight or turned,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
While on main motor this boat will veer up to 50 degrees both port and starboard directions off course.

its called bow wander and many I/O's suffer. get up on plane or simply let it wander (it will straighten itself out over time)

while on anchor in it also tracks very poorly with the aft end of the boat swinging side to side extreme distances.

your boat is going to swing while on the hook. you can put two bow anchors out at about 60-90 degrees to each other, then an aft anchor out if you want, however you will still drift back and forth with wind and current. the radius of your arc will be dependent on the scope of your rode and your depth at anchor.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You should check the steering arm at the gimbal housing also. Grab the drive, and see if it moves side to side, not running, and see how much slop is there. You can repair it if it's bad. If it's tight, no problem, Bow wander is normal.

Intruder 4.3

Cadet
While on anchor I leave the outdrive down and straight. I have tried it up and it swings worse. I do have some play in the out drive but it seems normal, but still probably enough to contribute to the swinging.

I am anchoring near Bonneville Dam where the current is ripping hard 2-3.5mph so dual anchors is not an option. Swing is improved with a sea anchor out the back but keeping a good purchase on the bottom with increased drag is difficult.

thumpar

Admiral
Mine has zero play and wanders all over. It is normal. I only correct it in very tight spots or if the wander is not averaging out to straight. The faster you go the less the wander will be.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another one that wanders, I just "trust" the wander, trying to outsteer it will only make it worse. As said before, it will find it's own way forward.