Boat preparation for storing in Salt Water

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

This was my first year with my boat and we took it out in the bay way more than I thought we would. We have decided that next year we are going to rent a slip in the bay instead of trailering it all the time. My question is, do I need to do any preparation to the hull or engine for it to be sitting in the ocean for 6 months? In the past, this boat was always docked in a fresh water pond for the summer, I think its first time in the salt water was this year. Do I need to put any type of special paint on it? I know that every time I use it in saltwater now, I flush the engine with fresh water on the muffs and give the boat a bath, obviously not going to be doing that next year. Will I need to pull it out every few weeks to do that or can I just leave it there? I know it's early to begin thinking of this stuff with this season (i'm in RI) not over yet, but I like to plan ahead. Boat is an 18' Maxum 1800SR with a 2010 3.0 Mercruiser on it. Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive.

Thanks for any info!!
Dave

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, you will need/want to do a few things . . .

Anti-fouling paint on the hull and up about 4" from the water line at rest. It would be a good idea to put a couple coats of a 'barrier coat' on the hull as a primer Before the anti-fouling paint. I recommend Interlux Interprotect 2000.

As for the antifouling paint, spend the money and get the good/pricey stuff. I use ePaint EP-2000 in white as that keeps the boat looking like a trailered boat and works very well. Initially you will want to go with 3 coats of AF paint, then one coat each year

The outdrive and propeller will also need antifouling paint. I have used various kinds, but keep going back to Trilux 33 (black) in the pint/quart cans and apply it with a roller. The spray can versions are a waste of money. you may need to rough up the outdrive paint surface first and put an underwater primer on first. I just used more of the Interprotect, because it adheres well.

Anodes . . . don't forget about the anodes. You will need a full set of anodes every year. make sure to get the kind for salt water, as the fresh water anodes will last about a week :rolleyes: 6 months may be pushing it on a set of anodes, but see how they do the first year.

As for the engine, I am assuming it is raw water cooled . . . soon to be sea water cooled. Not much you can do, short of adding a full closed cooling system. I think flushing with fresh water is not going to be all that effective. Once the internals of the cooling system see salt water, it seems to fall in love with it. :noidea:

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the info Tom!! Lot more to do than I thought, glad I'm preparing early!! Any thoughts on getting the boat off the trailer for painting. I was looking at boat jacks, but they are a $140 each x 4....gonna be kinda pricey. I've been seeing a few other options where folks use wood blocks and concrete blocks which could work I guess but I want to be safe for both me and the boat. I know this is a loaded question, just curious on your method. For the paints, with it being an 18' boat, any idea how much paint would be needed? Couple of quarts..couple of gallons? My Anodes are brandy new this year..,,,and I got the brackish water ones. I just checked them and they still look new and have been out about 8 times in the sea water.

tpenfield

Staff member
I use a combination of boat stands and wood blocks. Most of the weight goes on the blocks. The stands just provide balance. I don't have a trailer because my boat is 33 feet. Your boat could be easily done on a trailer just by jacking up one side at a time. That is how I used to do my 24 footer w/ trailer. I don't think you will need to remove the boat from the trailer. Don't use concrete blocks as they can shatter under load and that could ruin your day. Any jacking of the boat that you do should have a large wood pad against the hull to distribute the load. Otherwise you will punch the jack right through the hull.

Check the Internet to see what others have done to successfully lift/paint their boats. If you have a roller trailer, sometimes you can just move the boat forward/ backward a little bit to paint under the rollers, but doing all that can be a pain in the neck. You may as well just lift the boat.

I would think that you will get 2 coats per gallon with an 18 foot boat. So figure a gallon kit of the barrier coat, and a gallon of the anti-fouling, and a quart for the outdrive. Probably about $400 of paint.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to do barrier coat and then antifouling paint, you will want the boat up on blocks, off the trailer. For yearly touch-up lifting the boat off the trailer a few inches is fine, but for the work you need to do, get her off the trailer, IMO.

​Lower the tongue to the ground. Put cement blocks under the rear corners of the boat. Fill any empty space with 2by lumber, 1 by lumber, plywood etc. Now jack up the keel using a hydraulic jack and a piece of wood. Block it with cement blocks and wood. Pull the trailer forward until you hit a cross piece. Rejack and reblock the keel a few times, until you can pull the trailer out.

Break the glaze on the gelcoat and apply the epoxy barrier coat. It is temperature dependent for cure, so note the ambient temp. In the spring, it is usually one coat each morning before work, for 3 days. On the fourth day apply a coat of antifouling paint. You will need 2 coats of A-F. I like the multiseason ablative paint. Store brand is fine.

The rest of Ted's advice is sound. Bes sure to hose off the engine block every few uses. Make sure to grease the steering rod a couple of times a season. Inspect your bellows. Install a water separating filter if you don't have one. Make sure the auto bilge pump works. Best of luck.

jbcurt00

Staff member
FYI, ask a Mod to move a topic, and give them the chance to move it. Rather then startinga 2nd topic.

After an hour, users cant edit posts and can never delete topics

Closed the duplicate over in the resto forum. But Svott posted a reply before I did.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
FYI, ask a Mod to move a topic, and give them the chance to move it. Rather then startinga 2nd topic.

After an hour, users cant edit posts and can never delete topics

Closed the duplicate over in the resto forum. But Svott posted a reply before I did.

Roger that....sorry about that.