Help me decide(first time buyer)

CapTGT

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I am trying to gather various opinions from different forums as I finalized my research and stuck between 2 boats.

I've found two boats that I i really like at a same broker/marina for sale. I cant decide on the one i want to pull trigger for. They are amazingly low priced compared to same boats that are on sale. They are in GREAT condition(visually).

One of them is 2002 CHaparral 280:

HRS: Low
It is powered by newer twin 4.3 V-6 Volvo engines that were replaced in 2013 with service records available to prove. include: AC/Heat, Anchor Windless, Remote Spotlight, GPS, Depthfinder, Trim Tabs, Radar Arch, Cockpit Carpet, Newer Batteries
Boat looks great inside and outside except bottom. Has a newish style.

Needs: Full Canvas, portable generator, bottom paint and sanding painting of O/Ds, drain/flush bilge due to smell generated by dirty water sitting there(too low level to trigger pump) and fix rear gear cable as its stiff at times.

Second one is 2000 Monterey 302

HRS: Unknown
Twin Mercruiser 5.7 EFI motors with low hours that have both just had heads redone. Boat is loaded with options to include, New Camper Canvas that has never been used, Newer boat cover, Vacu-Flush Head, Generator, AC/Heat, Anchor Windless, Remote Spotlight, GPS, VHF Radio
Boat just had bottom paint. Shows great inside and out. Larger boat, looks dominant.
Broker says its turnkey.

Needs: New/Repair Ice Maker.

---------------------------

I feel like going with monterey is riskier. I believe there are 270ish Hrs on generator and broker stated that is indication of low hrs. I asked when generator was installed, he says factory.

I feel like newer remanufactured engines on chaparral would be the lower risk choice.
Although heads had to chance on monterey due to a bad compression test while under contract in may, I am still skeptical on general condition of the engines.

Regardless of my choice, I plan for a survey, compression test and sea trial. However, It still won't tell me the true story. As the chaparrals current owner acquired the boat in 2012 and had to replace both engines in 2013 for 16 grand sounds scary! I am sure he had perfect results at that time as well.

I want Monterey more because its a larger boat, has generator.
I want Chaparral because it looks newish(although smaller) with newer engines..

I am in a deadlock, seeking advice.

Thank you.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Post some pics. I am partial to the Chap but not the small engines. If I'm getting twins in the used cruiser market where depreciation is fantastically amazingly huge, I wouldn't go less than twin 5.0 MPI's. MPI for the non big blocks came out for model year 2002. I like the larger size of the Monterey but not the old EFI/not MPI engines.

CapTGT

Recruit
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• chap5.jpg
    chap5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • chap6.jpg
    chap6.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
  • chap8.jpg
    chap8.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • chap7.jpg
    chap7.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • chap3.jpg
    chap3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
  • chap4.jpg
    chap4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
  • chap2.jpg
    chap2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
  • chap1.jpg
    chap1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

A few questions . . . are you new to boating or just new to owning a boat? these boats would be a bit on the big size for a new boater.

Don't believe information given to you in the advertisement or the sales people (brokers). you need to prove that information for yourself.

Understand that the lower price may be indicative of something about the boat that isn't quite right. . . or it could just be a seller's situation. you will have to decide, since you and the surveyor you hire will have the first hand knowledge.

jkust

Rear Admiral
That chap is very nice...same interiors as mine. Post some of the Monterey as well. Keep in mind too that a survey won't be cheap. A survey for my previous 18 foot Chap was $2k in my neck of the woods.

CapTGT

Recruit
Welcome to iBoats . . .

A few questions . . . are you new to boating or just new to owning a boat? these boats would be a bit on the big size for a new boater.

Don't believe information given to you in the advertisement or the sales people (brokers). you need to prove that information for yourself.

Understand that the lower price may be indicative of something about the boat that isn't quite right. . . or it could just be a seller's situation. you will have to decide, since you and the surveyor you hire will have the first hand knowledge.
New to boating. I really want to start on a bigger boat. I have a friend who purchased a boat last summer, already looking for something bigger after this summer.

I dont believe in the broker. however I cant survey both boats. I have to choose one. Both sellers are moving away, one already did. The chap owner sort of abandoned his boat it seems. It stanks inside(as i explained above) and bottom/side hull has alot of moss.

Survey will cost me about $700 it seems. I am OKAY to spend it on aboat i will purchase. To what extend survey will identify potential engine problems? Someone on another board mentioned, they had heads done and within a year they had to replace engines... And I've been told head replacements usually lead to bigger problems?

Here are few pics ot monterey

Attachments

• monterey4.jpg
    monterey4.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
  • monterey6.jpg
    monterey6.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • monterey9.jpg
    monterey9.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • monterey8.jpg
    monterey8.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • monterey7.jpg
    monterey7.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • monterey5.jpg
    monterey5.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
  • monterey3.jpg
    monterey3.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
  • monterey2.jpg
    monterey2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
  • monterey1.jpg
    monterey1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
There is no telling with engine work . . . It could be fine or it could be problematic. The fact that you know about engine work is advantageous.

It was not after I bought my current boat that I realized that one of the engines had a valve job during its life. Not sure when, but at some point. Also the ECM's were either replaced or re-flashed, based on what the surveyor found. You can't really take one data point and draw too many, or perhaps not any conclusions from it. You sort of have to blend all of the information together and see what story it tells about the boat.

CapTGT

Recruit
There is no telling with engine work . . . It could be fine or it could be problematic. The fact that you know about engine work is advantageous.

It was not after I bought my current boat that I realized that one of the engines had a valve job during its life. Not sure when, but at some point. Also the ECM's were either replaced or re-flashed, based on what the surveyor found. You can't really take one data point and draw too many, or perhaps not any conclusions from it. You sort of have to blend all of the information together and see what story it tells about the boat.
One of my concerns is that, once the monterey failed compression test in may, the buyer backed out...Didn't want to proceed after the seller fixed...it took the seller 3 months to fix. If he was trying to sell, why did they wait this long to put it back in the market? seems fishy

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Between the two, I'd lean toward the Monterey. Parts for Mercruiser are more plentiful and cost less than VP. I like twins, but wouldn't go smaller than 5.0 (more personal preference). Engines and outdrives are "bolt on" items that can be completely changed out if necessary. Wood rot is my biggest fear. If both boats actually are completely sound, it really comes down to which boat appeals to you on a gut level more.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It seems like there are a lot of red flags with both of these boats so I would keep looking.