What happens to water in the carb?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Just curious if it eventually runs through or if it just sits there. Assuming that there's enough gas getting through to keep the engine running. I've always drained the bowl at least, but it's a PITA to get at sometimes (talking not just boats here).

oldjeep

Admiral
Huh? Like water down the throat of the carb or water that comes in via the fuel line? In any event the answer is that it runs down the intake manifold into your cylinders. The jets are at the bottom of the bowl so you get the water first.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
It gets vaporized during the combustion process and exits via the exhaust. If you have enough water in your fuel tank to be worrying about the carburetor, you might want to consider a fuel treatment, a water separator, and a new gasket on your gas cap.
Even though I try to use my boat as much as possible, I never know how long it's going to sit idle, so I add fuel stabilizer with each fill up. Have never drained the carb bowl and never had a problem. Been doing it this way since the boat was new.
Always did the same with my motorcycles, too.

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It is always a good idea to drain the fuel bowl on anything you are storing for a season whether it be a snow blower, lawn mower, car, or boat. Ethanol drys out rubber gaskets. I too put in fuel treatment to combat ethanol but I don't trust that it still won't ruin the fuel pump or bowl gasket. Worth the 5 minutes to make sure you are safe. Run the carb empty and then drain the bowl of any fuel left over.

Water will not burn so it will make the engine run rough. It does do a nice job of cleaning carbon. Not the best way to achieve this task though. If you have moisture in the fuel system some dry gas will do wonders.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Dry Gas is not recommended for outboards. Use some fuel stabilizer to get rid of the water.

Bondo

Staff member
Just curious if it eventually runs through or if it just sits there. Assuming that there's enough gas getting through to keep the engine running.

Ayuh,..... If ya mean water comin' in with the fuel,..??

It just lays there corrodin' yer carb, displacin' the gas that Should be there,....
Eventually, if enough water is present, 'n the gas can't get through, ya get a lean condition which induces detonation, that burns down yer motor,....

Start with fresh clean gasoline, 'n run it through a water sep. fuel filter, 'n change it often,....

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
On quadrajet carbs water will get into the idle circuit and plug it up. Only way I ever found to get it out is disassembly and compressed air or carb cleaner spray through that circuits passageways.