bilge pump

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I've got an 18' Glastron fish and ski that I use mostly for fishing. It's a 1996 4.3 l Mercruiser that I've only had for a few months. While doing some tune up work I noticed the bilge pump bracket was broken. The pump is an Attwood V 450 and is probably the original. It's an inexpensive looking pump and I wondered about what would be a more sturdy replacement. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jcris

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your existing plastic pump lasted 20 years. That's a long time for plastic. I would simply buy another and go boating

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Jcris, I would not replace that pump with the same type or size. It is only a 450 gallon per hour pump. And that is iffy as well. I would buy a much large size and even a different brand. I like Rule pumps, but there are lots of others that are quality as well. But get one that is a lot more capable. I would look at 1000 GPH pumps for that size boat. JMHO

JoLin

Vice Admiral
But get one that is a lot more capable. I would look at 1000 GPH pumps for that size boat. JMHO

Agree in principal, but the OP will need to install a larger diameter output hose, and drill for a larger thru-hull. A good compromise would be to buy the strongest pump that will work with the existing plumbing. Believe his Attwood uses a 3/4" hose. Rule and Attwood have 800 gph models that'll fit.

My .02

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
when you change out the pump, remember to blow out the discharge line, clear any blockages that can collect over time..

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with JoLin, and while we're on the subject, your original pump is likely wired to operate from the switch only. You may want to get a pump with a float switch that you can operate manually or will kick on automagically.

jkust

Rear Admiral
So I just replaced my factory pump as it stopped working. Firstly, the old Attwood you are mentioning has been long discontinued. The issue for me and possibly will be for you is that the float switch has a plastic mount that holds the pump on so technically the pump isn't screwed into the hull but the float switch is. Problem was that customizing something new such as an all in one automatic pump that has the switch built in wasn't possible. I ended up getting a larger pump...the largest one that still uses the same size output hose and screwing the pump onto the float switch bracket for me was an 800gpm. I too looked to go to a 1000gpm pump but the outlet hose is simply a lot larger and am not considering making the modifications that would be needed. The new pumps have replaceable motors so if it goes bad again, you only replace the motor and not the whole unit. My pump went bad when the original owner didn't check to see that it was clogged and the impeller couldn't spin and burned it out.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hey thanks guys,
I'm liking the idea to go with an 800 gph pump due to the 3/4" hose restriction. This pump is set up to operate off a switch only. Going to something with a float switch seems a good idea. I used to do some plumbing work as a younger man and found those float switches would need regular maintenance. I'll just need to check it for proper function as part of yearly maintenance. I don't really like the bracket that was used on the old switch. I'll look around and see what's out there.
Thanks again,
Jcris

jkust

Rear Admiral
Hey thanks guys,
I'm liking the idea to go with an 800 gph pump due to the 3/4" hose restriction. This pump is set up to operate off a switch only. Going to something with a float switch seems a good idea. I used to do some plumbing work as a younger man and found those float switches would need regular maintenance. I'll just need to check it for proper function as part of yearly maintenance. I don't really like the bracket that was used on the old switch. I'll look around and see what's out there.
Thanks again,
Jcris

If that is the case then I would get a fully automatic pump and just go ahead and modify the install however it needs to be done. The tightish space and bending way down into the blige was a pain for me. You will need to wire it directly to the battery with a second fuse or breaker in addition to the switched power leads.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been through 4 bilge pumps since 2000. I FINALLY have it wired and working correctly. Another suggestion if you can do it; replace the hose if it is a flex type corrugated. I replaced mine with a 3/4" clear marine hose, less then 3' long. 2 positives to this are seeing blockages and the smooth hose allows the pump less restrictions. Also, wrap your pump with the plastic type replacement screen and wire tie it to prevent fishing line, seaweed, shoelaces, minnows, leaves, twigs, etc from getting lodged in the impeller rendering your new pump useless.