Taking on Water in Engine Compartment after dock line caught in prop

RillaNH

Recruit
Need some advice on this one. Unaware that a line had been tied up to the back starboard cleat, I started the boat everything seemed fine. We stopped to pick up some lake debris, put the motor in reverse and shut it off to pickup up debris. I restarted it and put it in gear and it immediately stalled. Not realizing the line was tied up and caught in the prop I continued to try and start it several times with the same result and finally had friends tow me back. Upon reaching the mooring I noticed the line over the side. I went in and untangled the line and the boat appeared to be fine so I pulled it on my lift. I did notice that the out drive was pulled to the starboard side, most likely when the prop caught the line. The next day we took the boat out and as soon as I got it off the lift (which isn’t easy due to low lake levels these days) I heard a squealing sound coming from the engine. When I lifted to cover there was water splashing up from the drive belt (which was making the noise). I would say there was at least 1’ of water in the bilge. Shut off the engine and turned on the pump then put it back on the lift. When I took it to the mooring the next day everything seemed fine but then I noticed the water level was slowing increasing both when the boat was running and off. I put on the bilge until the boat was empty then waited, put on the bilge again and water was being pumped out. Any thoughts on this mystery?

Last edited:

RillaNH

Recruit
Should mention the boat is 240 Sea Ray Sun Deck with 350 Mercruiser inboard

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

How old is the boat?

I think with not seeing your boat that the transom was soft and the yank by the rope on the prop made it more apparent.

Can you get some pics of the inside and outside of the transom in the water?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It can stress the transom and if it's a bit weak the seal can be broken which will let water in. A friend did the same thing, same result, water in the bilge, he had broken the outdrive housing.

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
Lift the engine cover and put a flashlight on the inner stern to see if you can spot the leak. It's a I/O not inboard, correct ? You may have caught the bellows with the errant line and tore a hole in it or pulled it off the outdrive.

RillaNH

Recruit
Just watched a video and you might be right on target. Dropped it off at a marina and they said it could be the plug under the engine which didn't make any sense to me. Thanks for the insight. I will be following up with them before I allow them to start pulling my engine out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Make sure to pull your starter, disassemble it and clean it out. If you had a foot of water in the bilge, your starter was submerged

oldjeep

Admiral
If it is actually an inboard then I'd guess you took out your shaft seal or bent the driveshaft which is causing your shaft seal/packing to leak.