Starcraft Pontoon Audio Upgrade

Cooolrado

Cadet
My dad has a newer StarCraft pontoon, 2013ish not sure the model but its mid grade. the stock audio sucks and id like to get him an upgrade for his birthday. Right now it only has 2 6" speakers in the rear and nothing up front, so unless you crank the volume nothing can be heard up front. The head unit is pretty crappy too, just a basic radio with a aux input jack.

I'm looking for budget friendly suggestions to put 2 more speakers up front and possibly upgrade the head unit to something with Bluetooth and SiriusXM

TAI

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if you are going to upgrade the head unit anyways, most come built for 4 channels on the internal amp in the unit. the simplest would be to get a new head unit with a 4 channel built in amp (most are standard this way) and add 2 new speakers up front.

If you are really looking for a fully encompassed stereo, you can look into adding amps and/or subs to the mix, as well as possibly upgrading batteries to deep cycle/dual batteries to support this all.

with the first option that could be done in a matter of an afternoon depending on your skill level. the second could take a weekend.

This all depends on what you want,

I just upgraded mine from the original clarion to a kenwood 356bt (i think) with bluetooth and pandora and all, i think you can add sirius as well but i dont feel the need with iphones. it cost me 100$ right about and i would buy it again.

the speakers, i replaced the 01 clarion versions with were a boss audio 2-way 200w 6.5" speaker, they are okay for 25$ but if i had some extra money to spend on it i would have in a heart beat.

they have all sorts of speaker/head unit combos out there that you can get the stereo and 2 speakers or even 6 speakers and an amp too. take a look and figure out what your needs are for this then buy away.

Last edited:

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
With speakers, you are going to get what you pay for. When it came time to upgrade from my 2 speaker system, I had a choice to make. Either spend $500 on a single purpose speaker system that I would use for a couple hours a week, or go with mobile bluetooth speakers.

I came accross the UE Mega Boom. It is portable, has amazing 360 degree sound, and was louder than my previous system, with better sound. Best of all, waterproof!

I bought one at $300 and tried it for a year. It worked beautifully. I read that if you had 2 and downloaded the app for it, you could sync them together for Stereo sound. The next spring I fashioned some mounts, bought another one, and I haven't looked back.

I use them when I am on the boat, and also have mounts built into my patio. Even have mounts in my den/mancave for them to sync with the tv. Not a bad investment at all. One charge will get you 8 hours of audio at a good volume.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
For the head unit I would definitely go with Bluetooth! I did awhile ago and it's nice not to have cords for people to trip on and rip out plus you can put your phone or iPod outta harms way, I just set it up and throw it in the glove box!