Boat salvage yard near Milwaukee, WI? Want to get rid of a fiberglass hull

72 Fury

Cadet
Does anybody know of a boat salvage yard or any salvage yard in the Milwaukee, wi area that would take my 16' fiberglass hull?

72 Fury

Cadet
And any idea of what they might charge? I am aware that cutting the boat into pieces is one solution but I've heard (and can imagine) that it is ridiculously messy.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Salvage yards don't want bare fiberglass hulls,...

I haul 'em to the dump, 'n pay $60. a ton to be rid of 'em,....
Don't even have to cut 'em up, they crush 'em with the trackhoe,....

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Marathon County Landfill will take them. I was up there a while back to do some start up training and they were lining up hulls and crushing them with the compactor for a road bed.

72 Fury

Cadet
Thanks i just want to get rid of it, so $60 is fair. Marathon county is a little far to drag it but thanks
Edit: $62 plus tax for me
$62 per ton with a 1 ton min charge

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Around where I live they charge $20 dollars a ton and there is no minimum. If you have half a ton, you are charged half the price. But your travel time and being out of the county won't work. However, $62 plus tax is peace of mind to be rid of useless things in my book. And I really hate parting with useful things. :facepalm:

fishrdan

Admiral
Check to see if you need to show ownership of the boat.

When I hauled an old fiberglass hull to the landfill for disposal, I had to show my title to the boat, they checked the HIN against the title, then I was allowed to have it disposed of. (It think they kept the title too...)

You may or may not have to worry about this, but I know I would have been peeved if I had driven 40 miles and they turned me away for lack of papers....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Don't even have to cut 'em up, they crush 'em with the trackhoe,....

That man lives the most stress free life ever! Getting to run a big toy and either drive over or smash boats all day!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or wait until some neighborhood goes up in smoke due to idiot rioters and drop of the boat and trailer there during the blaze

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Depending where you live, you could put a sign on it and sit it out close to the road. The say can say $100 dollars, and who knows, someone could steal it. :noidea:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Kinda funny you say that about taking a junk boat and putting a for sale sign on it, there is a boat in town that is an old fiberglass boat with shotty attempts to repair the transom. It has been sitting there for sale since Memorial Day with a $350 price on it.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Depending where you live, you could put a sign on it and sit it out close to the road. The say can say $100 dollars, and who knows, someone could steal it. :noidea:

That's funny,...

A friend of mine lives on a country road and had a old, but very nice couch to get rid of. He put it at the end of the road with a sign that read free and it sat for a couple of days, The night he put a price tag of 20 bucks on it, it disappeared,.......................

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's funny,...

A friend of mine lives on a country road and had a old, but very nice couch to get rid of. He put it at the end of the road with a sign that read free and it sat for a couple of days, The night he put a price tag of 20 bucks on it, it disappeared,.......................

Yes it does work that way. Sad isn't it. :eek:

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The county I live in here in Texas has a once of month free dump day, it's usually always the first Saturday of the month. All you have to do is show proof of residence, I've seen old boats,tires,etc dumped. It's like 7am to 2pm.

Tony