Concave hull on 14' aluminum boat?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
I've been looking for a small deep vee aluminum boat (extra deep row bow basically), and came across one who's hull has an odd concave shape at the stern I've never seen before on this kind of boat. What's it's purpose? And how do you think it would handle differently than a more conventional row boat bottom?

Attachments

• photo251134.jpeg
    photo251134.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Gull wing hull.

Starcraft has them on their 16-20' hulls.
It is just like your Mariner.

Adds a little stability, and is supposed to aid in planing.

I have found no handling issues with mine.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Are you talking about the cut down transom? I would think it is stronger than a square cut, allows the boat to have higher sides, and still use a short shaft outboard.

​Just a guess.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Thanks roscoe, I knew there had to be a more technical term for the shape but I couldn't come up with it! I don't recall it being as pronounced on my Mariner but perhaps I just never looked closely.

Chris, I am referring to the way the bottom of the hull goes up from the keel then out and slightly back down before meeting the side. I've seen it on larger hulls, but never on a utility boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Improved stability at rest. Some tri hulls were "Gull Wing" shaped like that, just a continuation of the sponsons. Other reason would be to force more water out the stern rather than the side and improve a dry ride. Buttt the down side was a rougher ride, especially on light weight, shallow V tri-hulls. Other problem was they were bad about the windward sponson digging in when quartering, especially on the helm side, windblown waves, which soaked you.....BTDT