Fuel Line/Primer Bulb Issue

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
It seemed like such a simple project. All I wanted to do was replace a hardened primer bulb. Now, after multiple trips to West/Walmart/Hardware store, I have a new primer bulb, together with adjacent, short hose sections, and, new snap-on connectors at the tank and the tank end of the primer hose.

​All well and good. But, when I squeeze the new primer bulb (Walmart), it squeezes down but won't come back up. So, since there are no kinks in the fuel line, the problem is likely with the primer bulb or the new hose end or tank connectors (West).

How best to locate the problem? If I disconnect the primer bulb, and can blow through the hose through the two new connectors (snapped together) and into the tank, will that tell me that the connectors are OK and the bulb is the problem? Am I correct in assuming that when the snap-on connectors are coupled together it is a flow-through condition?

Anything else I should check (I'd like to make only one more trip to West or Walmart)?

pckeen

Commander
Quick check - did you put the primer bulb on the line with the arrow in the right direction?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
do you have an anti-siphon fitting at the tank? It will look like a hose barb, but will have a ball and spring in place. That could be sticking.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Reminder to self: don't buy items in opened packaging. Near as I can tell, the problem is just a wimpy primer bulb. With the hoses disconnected and the new tank and hose end connectors coupled together, I was able to blow through without much effort. I re-installed the old primer bulb and it seemed to function as it should.

I took a close look at the Walmart primer bulb. Real easy to squeeze - almost felt flimsy. The barb ends were kind of strange. It is allegedly a 3/8" primer bulb. The barb ends measure 17/32" across the tops of the barbs. I looked at my 3/8" barb fittings and they measure 13/32" across the tops of the barbs.

One more trip - to West - I'll get one of their 3/8" primer bulbs and hopefully be done with this project.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say it sound like the primer bulb is installed backwards. When you squeeze it, the one way values are not allowing gas to flow towards the engine and it stays collapsed. JMHO

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I have to say it sound like the primer bulb is installed backwards. When you squeeze it, the one way values are not allowing gas to flow towards the engine and it stays collapsed. JMHO

​Nope. Checked the arrow on the bulb and it was correct. When I pulled the bulb I could verify that the arrow marking was correct by the pressure/vacuum on the bulb ends as I squeezed it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
​Nope. Checked the arrow on the bulb and it was correct. When I pulled the bulb I could verify that the arrow marking was correct by the pressure/vacuum on the bulb ends as I squeezed it.

Could it be they manufactured it or assembled it wrong? When you squeeze the primer bulb, do you hear any air in the tank or bubble sounds? If so, it is assembled backwards. You could also remove the hose going to the engine and see if you can feel air coming out when you squeeze the primer bulb. JMHO

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Mystery solved. When is a primer bulb not a primer bulb? When some douchbag loser opens the packaging and substitutes the squeeze bulb from a liquid siphon set. See photo. On the left is what I bought at Walmart last week. Picked up an actual 3/8" Attwood primer bulb at another Walmart today (on the right).

​Pissed off at myself for not noticing. More pissed off at the douchbag who made the switch. Back to Walmart one more time to see if I can get my $$ back for the first one. ​

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Mystery solved. When is a primer bulb not a primer bulb? When some douchbag loser opens the packaging and substitutes the squeeze bulb from a liquid siphon set. See photo. On the left is what I bought at Walmart last week. Picked up an actual 3/8" Attwood primer bulb at another Walmart today (on the right).

​Pissed off at myself for not noticing. More pissed off at the douchbag who made the switch. Back to Walmart one more time to see if I can get my $$ back for the first one. ​

I don't see any pictures. :noidea:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Returned the faux primer bulb to Walmart today and got $20.48 put back on my card. As I carefully explained the issue to the disinterested girl behind the counter, I was estimating about a 75% chance that it will go right back on the shelf. So, if you go to the Walmart in La Mesa, CA to buy a primer bulb, inspect it carefully before heading to the checkout (and don't buy one in a package that has previously been opened).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Too late now but...I've never had any luck with after market primer bulbs or fuel hose for that matter. Two to three seasons tops before going bad. OEM only for me

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Too late now but...I've never had any luck with after market primer bulbs or fuel hose for that matter. Two to three seasons tops before going bad. OEM only for me

In this case the problem wasn't one of quality - just some piece of crap being sold as a primer bulb that wasn't a primer bulb.

I did use the Walmart Attwood brand primer set (hose and bulb) for the original installation. That was five years ago and it is (was) still working - just getting a little stiff/brittle with age - so I was replacing it as a PM measure.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

I'm with you on this. All the aftermarket/Moeller/Attwood stuff is just so woefully inferior, and the lower costs bear this out, that I now stick with OEM/Mercury/Quicksilver for anything I might need.

I had a Moeller fuel line, bulb and Mercury connectors to both tank and motor and the inner liner to the line had degraded as soon as E-10 touched it and caused my 2010 6-HP Mercury to stall whenever it felt like it and the connectors at either end leaked, it was pathetic.

All Mercury/Quicksliver hardware and problem solved.