What is the best investment you made to your Boat ?

Jerry200LX

Seaman Apprentice
1. Bimini top - Is that an investment if I built it myself?

2. Sound system.

3. Chartplotter/sonar/fishfinder.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Converting the trailer to Kodiak disc brakes with electric/hydraulic.

Bimini top with full enclosure.

Chart plotter/sounder with fuel flow meter

Underwater LED Light Seablaze

Taking a DoelFin off!

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
1. Added bimini.
2. Transom-mounted trim switch.
3. Tie: SmartTabs and electric brakes for the trailer.
4. Trailer guides that make backing an empty trailer much easier.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Best thing I added to my boat, after all the work to get her in the water...ME!!!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What type of bottoms (sand, rock, shale, vegetation?) does that work best in? I need something better than my fluke?
I have a box anchor on my pontoon....it sucks. Get a Fortress anchor. They are well worth the expense. I will give away my box next year.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Best thing I did was lift the gas cap and drove another boat under it!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I fabricated a rudder position indicator for the helm, using a Chinese knock-off of a Raritan gauge and sender I found on ebay. It was a tough job, but now I know precisely where my outdrives are pointed. It's made a HUGE difference in backing the boat.

I built a fold-up, stow aboard boarding step that helps me get on and off the dock at low tide. I get many compliments on the design.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
I have a box anchor on my pontoon....it sucks. Get a Fortress anchor. They are well worth the expense. I will give away my box next year.

I know a few hundred tow boat owners who would be glad to take it off your hands. What is the bottom like where you anchor?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
1. Chart plotter
2. Fuel flow meter
3. Remote control for my windlass
4. U-shaped zipper opening added to helm section of camper canvas.
5. Memory foam pad for master berth
6 Extra trim tab switches for easy use while standing.

My boat came with Bennett trim tabs, camper canvas, and a windlass, otherwise they would top the list...

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would eventually like to replace the depth/fish finder with a more up to date model that has the GPS, I have two on the boat now and they both work fine but I sure like the one's with the colored screen display, I can see detail on them a lot better I would think.

Tony

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I know a few hundred tow boat owners who would be glad to take it off your hands. What is the bottom like where you anchor?
Mud and sand. A tow boat is a low freeboard boat with not too much area to catch the wind and they probably aren't out in rough weather very often. I use my Fortress anchor out in the ocean and keeps my 24' boat from moving in 25 MPH winds. A box anchor is nice because it doesn't take too much room to stow but its a poor excuse for an anchor.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Mud and sand. A tow boat is a low freeboard boat with not too much area to catch the wind and they probably aren't out in rough weather very often. I use my Fortress anchor out in the ocean and keeps my 24' boat from moving in 25 MPH winds.

You use a pontoon boat in the ocean in 25MPH winds? Wow

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Bimini purchase was nice... above that, best purchase was new axle, hubs, surge break system... worry free boat yanking :tea:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I did read - where you stated it was in your pontoon boat
Sorry...let me make this clear to you. I use it on my 24' boat that is in my signature...not the 21' pontoon boat that is in my signature....the one that currently has a box anchor.

jkust

Rear Admiral
1. Agreed Value insurance policy that paid me 100% of the full purchase price after 8 years of use.
2. Electric 24 volt boatlift with key fob operation, lighting system and solar array maintainer and charger.
3. Replacement bilge pump

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I agree about the Fortress anchor, I used to have some stupid mushroom type and had nothing but problems, now with the fortress my boat wont even move in some nasty Lake Powell gusts.

Best investment for me has beeen the Merc kicker engine . Great for low speed trolling plus can get me outta there if I have engine problems . A good kicker is worth its weight in gold especially if you dont have one when you need it .