Can't Read My Gauge

Smokedawg671

Cadet
I too am having a gauge issue. Just bought this 1999 blue wave with 99' Yamaha 130 saltwater series. It has digital gauge which was very dim and mostly unreadable .. Can anyone help with where or what to start looking for

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Smokedawg671

Same guidance as this thread -

Is your gauge readout dim or is the face cloudy. These are have two different fixes. Maybe three - Had your eyes check lately? LOL

Smokedawg671

Cadet
Yes, sorry I seen it was an old thread after the fact. Then couldn't get computer to open a new thread. Thanks for the help..

Smokedawg671

Cadet
The gauge itself is very dim as if it is not functioning. Glass is clear, just bought the boat and looking at gauges they look fairly new but know they are not.

robert graham

Admiral
If you're trying to read that gauge with polarized sunglasses, they can make the numbers almost invisible....this is also true with the fuel pump gauges at the gas station....don't know exactly why but it does it....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check the voltage to the gauge. Low voltage can cause dim displays. A starting place, anyway.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Is this digital read out gauge LED or Liquid Crystal display? If it is Liquid Crystal display, you could have a polarization issue with sunglasses like robert graham was stating. That is because some glasses are polarized horizontally and others vertically. If you have that issue, sometimes you can turn your head at an angle and the display will be readable. However, if this is LED display then you either need a back-light display or a shade to be able to read it. Rarely is it a voltage issue beause such displays are usually setup for a 5 volt internal system voltage. So your supply voltage would have to be seriously bad. However, with that stated, I doubt it is your eyes like GA_boater was referencing. :facepalm:

Post a picture so we can see what you are dealing with. We may have better options. :noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Picture of gauge

So it is liquid crystal display. And it looks like the lens is cloud somewhat as well. Have you tried another battery to see if it gets any clearer? I see there is a battery display option, but it doesn't look like it is reading proper voltage. If another battery doesn't clear things up and read properly, you may have a bad meter.