Yamaha or Not Yamaha??

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
When I was putting my boat back in service, a few years back, I replaced the fuel lines. My motor is an '82 Mariner, made by Yamaha, so, for consistency, I put Yamaha fittings in the fuel line. These were the Attwood brand, from Walmart. However, when I went to hook the fuel line up to the tank, the Attwood fitting would fit on the tank fitting but not lock. Thinking I had a damaged fitting on the fuel tank I went back to Walmart and got an Attwood Yamaha tank fitting. The line then hooked up fine.

​Fast forward to today. Replacing the primer bulb assembly. Required new fitting at the tank end because I'm going from 5/16" up to 3/8" barb size. Went to West and got a 3/8 barb fitting, the West brand, marked "Yamaha." Tried it on the tank fitting (Attwood - Yamaha) and it went on, but wouldn't lock. Back to West, got a West brand "Yamaha" tank fitting and it coupled great with the hose end fitting.

I thought Yamaha was Yamaha, but, apparently not. Is there more than one Yamaha size? Anybody else ran into this brand bias with the snap-on fuel line fittings?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes....I have had issues with aftermarket fuel line connectors in the past. Finally just bought the factory fittings and no problems. Watch out for leaking aftermarket connectors as they have had issues with them.

82rude

Rear Admiral
At the very lest Yamaha made the powerheads.For many years Yamaha and merc slept together.My brother had a 60 mariner that was Yamaha and my 90,s 60 mariner was mercury powerhead.Mine was a piece of junk and my brothers older Yamaha powerhead mariner was a gem.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
its my understanding that mariner was made as a export motor for many years and then later Yamaha and a few others were sold under the mariner brand as small hp motors or special order motors