'84 SeaRay Weekender 260, Bellows Protector!

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings all, as it's been a while. After much effort and attempt, the '22 American is gone and replaced with the above titled boat. Huge improvement. Now, we've been told that due to our boat having the OMC 800 Stringer I/O, that the bellows seal on the transom needs to have a guard/protector in place, to prevent the rubber from being eaten by muskrats and other rodents.

We've been told that boats sink while tied to docks, simply due to rodents liking to eat/chew the rubber. So we've been searching high and low, and the actual part made by OMC has been out of production since 2014. Or any reasonable aftermarket item that does the same job.

Anyone, anywhere, have any suggestions for how to protect our boat short of pulling it out of the water after each use?

We've gotten it for a song, (not yet in the water), including trailer and almost 2 complete SPARE outdrives.

One supplier was telling us that the 'rubber compound' has been changed to make it more 'rodent deterrent' and it's only ~$200.00, but would you trust your boat to a salesman's pitch?

And yes, I've tried searching this forum eleventy different ways, and found nothing. Could be my google-fu is out of zen with my chi, I dunno. All help is appreciated, and I can put up some pic's if anyone's interested.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I know many people with the old OMG drives that had sunk boats from muskrats. the pumps last about an hour to 90 minutes until the batteries die and the boat sinks.

OMC has been out of business since December 22, 2000, so if the part you are referring to was made up until 2014, it wasn't made by OMC. Volvo Penta obtained the I/O portion and Bombardier took over the outboard portion. are you confusing NOS with new?

the rodent guard 981599 kit contained the rodent guard 909705 and screw 902449. it was a scoop looking thing that collected debris and gave the muskrats something to hold onto while they chewed the transom boot

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
I can only state that which I was told. By salesmen. I definitely want something, to protect what we have here, and I'm faithful that something exists. Does anyone know anything about this new 'rubber formulation' or is that absolute hokum? Is there a BETTER way of accomplishing this goal?

I'm guessing little tiny claymores around the drive is out of the question..... :D

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
sorry, can't offer any help here, but I had to look up claymores - I think it's a great idea, and will look really cool on your OMG...

"a two-edged broadsword used by Scottish Highlanders"

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Garbageguy, you gave me a good chuckle. I appreciate that. Let me be clear though, the broadsword was NOT that which I was referring. The anti-personnel mine, was. As linked here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_Claymore_mine

Hence why I stated 'little tiny' ones...

Seeing as they are 'directional', if they were to be placed right then there's no damage to the hull or drive, but alas.... this takes us from the actual intent of the thread.

I truly do need to solve this dilemma, and for so many reasons yet disclosed. Short version is, my In-Laws are having an anniversary in two weeks, they've never been on a boat before, they've been helping us work on this one for the past month, and it hasn't been in the water yet.

We're really wanting to take them to a floating restaurant on their big day, and the last thing we want (for sea-trials beforehand) is to have "floatation issues" on the big day. Especially whilst moored in areas of high boat population.

Funds, and everything else that goes with it, as well.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
with two old OMG stringers, you need to get that boat on the water and run the heck out of it to find the remainder of other issues.

when was the last time the raw water pumps were replaced?
were the vertical driveshafts replaced?
how are the ball gears?
how are the tilt motors?

southkogs

Staff member
Are you talking about permanently mooring the boat in a slip ... or just parkin' it for a day or three (or a few hours)?

If it's an issue of being in a slip, then keep looking for your guard. I've never kept a boat in a slip, so I don't have a real answer for ya' there. But if you're just gonna' have it in the water for a couple of days or hours ... don't worry about it.

However ... if you can find some tiny claymores, you really need to do that just out of principle. :cool:

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
I just put the water pump together (in the upper end of the outdrive) 3 days ago.

To be clear, the boat itself has one outdrive, and one chevy smallblock 350 engine. I have essentially two spare outdrives, and two spare engines, in blocks and parts.

All this stated, simply so that I don't get others saying "sell it, and buy something better". Funds being the issue here. I'm trying to make that which we have, work.

I've taken the best parts of the intact gear-sections, and assembled the best leg. This is the one I'm using for the rest of the season, (what there is of it). Through the winter, I can purchase new gear-sets and build another leg to have as a spare. Myself, I'm not one to 'drive something into the ground' and then look at it. I address issues as I am aware of them.

These legs are cable shift, of which I have two 'bottoms'. I have 3 uppers, and 3 'center-pieces' (correct terms elude me at the moment, sorry)

The ball gear on the transom is 'like brand new'. The one on the leg I'm using has some worn/flats on the faces, but it'll work for a month. I/we have NO intention of waterskiing or anything like that. Just want to bubble up and down the river for a bit.

The water-pump shaft was in nearly new condition. Only wear on it, was that you can see on the splines that it was used. Not "worn half way through" or anything like that.

The oil that came out of the top-set and bottom set of gears was very good. A little milky in the bottom set, so I'm replacing the prop-shaft seals. The one and only local supplier only had them on hand, and not the input-shaft seals, so I'm just going with that/them/those for the month.

Last I saw (when watching the former owner operate....) the tilt motor worked fine and as per required. If there is an issue, I have a complete setup for replacement parts. If anyone happens to remember, I have the old drive from the 22' American that I had, that many said to 'get rid of'. I did. But kept all the drive parts.

Clear as mud? I'll answer any question to the best of my abilities, and as stated, I'll put up any pics that ya'll want for clarification.

I'm not here being a smart-ass, I'm seriously doing the best I'm able to be as concise AND realistic as I can. I don't have the cash to buy all new components, so I'm using the best that I can with what I've got. Living on disability kinda sucks.

Hence why I want to protect THE WHOLE THING from varmints, due to a stupid rubber barrier that jeopardizes the entire project.

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Southkogs, we'd like to moor it at the marina that is about 8 blocks from us. I'm not all that keen on trailering/launching/retrieving the 26' behemoth each day we want to use it. Though we may just have to do that, this fall. But come next spring, we'd absolutely like to moor it there, as my Lady and myself are going to have to live on it for some days, whilst we refinish the hardwood floors of this house. (I'm sure you get the idea).

Let alone, take it for a honeymoon up the East side of Lake Winnipeg.

We're just not doing anything large/big/fast until all the bugs are worked out, and everything is ship-shape. One step at a time.

But this rubber dam...... well.... damn. It all hinges around this stupid thing.

And yes, on another note, it is my firm belief that Overkill is Under-Rated. :D

southkogs

Staff member
Look around some more ... I never thought about one because the longest my boat was ever moored up was a couple of days. At the same time, there are 3 Stringers in the marina I typically launch at and the critters haven't sunk 'em yet (and that's several years of floatin').

Those boots - especially the OEM versions - are pretty stout.

Your other option is to make something. Some pretty light gauge plastic or metal that you can put over the drive when your moored, and remove before ya' head out. Not exactly the most convenient ... but better'n nuthin'.

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone add anything to the statement of "the rubber compound has been changed to something more rodent deterrent" as I had stated in my opening post? Or is that simply a sales pitch on a two hundred dollar part?

southkogs

Staff member
I can't tell you for sure ... but I lean toward that being part of the sales pitch. I owned a Stringer for about 6 years or so. Never needed to replace the boot, but looked at 'em once and never heard anything about "critter repellent."

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
So does anyone know of any of these guards, or any other make/model/reasonable facsimile, and have a spare laying around?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It was a rarely sold dealer added option that didn't really work as intended originally. As I stated, it have the vermin a place to hold onto while they dined. Those are the words from the mechanic at seagull marina 30 years ago when a family friend's boat was re-floated after it sunk due to muskrat damage

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the replies, Scott. It is appreciated and understood that the guards 'as sold by' SeaRay didn't work to prevent muskrats from grabbing ahold and chewing anyways.

I'm most interested in what does work, to prevent muskrats from chewing/eating through the bellows, and really don't want to run the risk of sinking our efforts and outlay. (Dare I say "investment"?)

Simply trying to be pro-active here, and prevent as much as I can without having to haul it in and out of the water each time we want to use it. And as such, seeing as we'd like to spend about 5 days on the water, without motoring the whole time, we surely DON'T want to be on it whilst there's the chance of disaster.

Suggestions, options, other ideas..... any and all?

I know that I don't know, hence why I'm asking those more experienced.

Bondo

Staff member
Suggestions, options, other ideas..... any and all?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Hardware cloth,... 1/4" hole chicken wire,... steel heavy duty screen,... SSteel if ya can find it,...

Get creative, cut, fit, screw on a wire shield,.....

Eradicate the muskrats,...

Last edited: